• 1937 rail travel to West Point

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

by MMI

THANK YOU - EVERYONE! Tremendous help. The 1937 timetable is terrific. I only wish I knew how to better read it.

I've selected the 9:50 a.m. "World's Fairliner" out of Chicago to Albany, arriving at 3:20 p.m. He rode coach with a fare of $16.35.

Does anyone know about hotels near Albany's Union Station in 1937?

The next morning, he caught The West Pointer at 6:45 a.m., arriving in West point at 7:35 a.m.
  by pumpers

MMI wrote:THANK YOU - EVERYONE! Tremendous help. The 1937 timetable is terrific. I only wish I knew how to better read it.

I've selected the 9:50 a.m. "World's Fairliner" out of Chicago to Albany, arriving at 3:20 p.m. He rode coach with a fare of $16.35.

Does anyone know about hotels near Albany's Union Station in 1937?

The next morning, he caught The West Pointer at 6:45 a.m., arriving in West point at 7:35 a.m.
That train arrives in Albany at 3:20 AM, not PM. In that timetable, PM times are in bold, and AM is regular font. So your cadet doesn't need a hotel. Just needs to get a cup of coffee and wait around a few hours.
He might be too excited to sleep anyway. There are probably a number of other cadets waiting around for the same train he could meet at the coffee shop.
JS
P.S. The West Pointer out of Albany at 6:45 AM - it arrives at West Point at 9:08 AM, not 7:35 (I think you looked at the column to the left by accident).