• #14 Orange Line Cars 1400-1551 (From Red/Orange Procurement discussion)

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

by F-line to Dudley via Park

I can also see how that's an utter no-go for handicapped persons, even in the pre-ADA days. That aisle wouldn't fit a wheelchair at all. Hell, it wouldn't even fit one of those ghastly Urban SUV strollers.

Transverse seating is awesome on the D.C. Metro and BART. Really enjoyed riding those two last year when I was travelling. But those systems are much different animals splitting the difference between subway and short-haul commuter rail. The cars also have enough wider width that they can do transverse without ADA difficulty.
  by 3rdrail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: The cars also have enough wider width that they can do transverse without ADA difficulty.
Are they really that much wider or is it that they have a split seating layout combining both longitudinal and transverse seating ? The 015/01600's are wide cars at 10 feet between their side sheets.
  by RailBus63

Mcoov wrote:The only reason I can think of for the T to remove the transverse seating would be to increase standing room. Seeing as how I never rode the Red Line when it had the transverse seating, what was the standing room like?
It was brutal during rush hours. I miss the old seats, but the reseating program was absolutely the correct call.
  by F-line to Dudley via Park

3rdrail wrote:
F-line to Dudley via Park wrote: The cars also have enough wider width that they can do transverse without ADA difficulty.
Are they really that much wider or is it that they have a split seating layout combining both longitudinal and transverse seating ? The 015/01600's are wide cars at 10 feet between their side sheets.
BART's got maybe a two-thirds/one-third split of transverse vs. longitudinal to put a lot of extra standee and wheelchair space around the doors. Those cars are noticeably wider than than the Red Line. Definitely most spacious subway cars I've ever been in. Metro's almost all transverse except for 2 longitudinal seats on either side of the doors. More similar to Red Line dimensions, but the aisles are slightly wider because the carbodies are kind of hexagon-shaped like the 01200's and 0600/0700's instead of rectangular like the Red Line. They do have center poles by the doors blocking the transverse-seating aisles from wheelchairs or strollers on all cars except the newest 6000 and 7000 series, presumably to keep the aisles from being blocked by anything over-wide and corral all the wheel-bearing passengers by the doors.
  by 3rdrail

F-line to Dudley via Park wrote:
3rdrail wrote:
BART's got maybe a two-thirds/one-third split of transverse vs. longitudinal to put a lot of extra standee and wheelchair space around the doors. Those cars are noticeably wider than than the Red Line.
Bart is 5" wider than the Red Line, F. 2-1/2" on each side.
source - world.nycsubway.org
  by ThinkBoston

I've done due diligence in searching, but have yet to discover any firm knowledge as to the specs for the new Orange Line cars. I've seen much speculation as this has been a topic for some time now. Anyone know the official specs on the order, assuming a decision on that has been made, and whether the order has been placed? Have the dimensions and/or the seating/standing capacities changed from the current OL fleet?
Thanks.
  by 3rdrail

There isn't a big change likely for most, if not all, measurements to remain pretty consistant with what's been made for the line since 1899. You're going to see @ 8'-7-5/8" width at door threshold and @ 12' height due to clearances. I don't know if they'll be playing with car lengths at all, but unless they go with articulation, there's not much wiggle room there either.
  by MBTA3247

3rdrail wrote:There isn't a big change likely for most, if not all, measurements to remain pretty consistant with what's been made for the line since 1899.
Try 1957, Paul. The #1-10 cars were considerably smaller than later equipment.
  by 3rdrail

3rdrail wrote: I don't know if they'll be playing with car lengths at all, but unless they go with articulation, there's not much wiggle room there either.
Read the post that you are commenting on, Derek.
  by Robert Paniagua

3rdrail wrote:Image
The interior looks nearly identical to WMATA Washington Metrorail's Rohr 1000s but when I rode them while still in classic mode, they made the seating pattern look like the Breda 2000 & 3000-series instead of the Rohr Design.
  by BostonUrbEx

1:59
Mike: Hi Ms. Scott. The entire orange line fleet is 30+ years old. Are there any plans in the works for replacement? The trains are really staring to ow their age.

2:00
Beverly Scott: Yes, sping 2013 we will initiate a procurement for new OL vehicles. This is the kind of investment we need to be making but that we need the resources to do.

via: http://www.boston.com/news/local/massac ... rly_scott/
  by ns3010

Per the 21st Centry Transportation Ten Year Plan issued today:
New MBTA Red and Orange Line Cars ($1.5 billion) – Funds the replacement of 43-year-old Red Line cars and 31-year-old Orange Line cars as well as improvements to tracks, signals and systems. The new cars and system upgrade will result in faster and less crowded commutes. The cars will be made in Massachusetts, supporting the local economy.
Nothing new, but the "made in Massachusetts" inclusion is of interest. Unless they plan on convincing a builder to open a new plant in MA, there's currently no builders with plants in the state. (Not that this hasn't happened in the past [Rotem Philly plant and SEPTA Silverliners], but most companies with operations elsewhere in North America I don't think would open a new plant just to win one contract)

I wonder how closely they plan to follow that during the procurement process. I wouldn't be surprised to see it dropped when the RFP is issued.

Link to plan: http://mbta.com/about_the_mbta/news_eve ... nth=&year=
  by Robert Paniagua

Obviously the new Red and Orange Line railcars will be made out of the country but Massachusetts law requires the final assembly be done within Massachusetts
  by Rbts Stn

Robert Paniagua wrote:Obviously the new Red and Orange Line railcars will be made out of the country but Massachusetts law requires the final assembly be done within Massachusetts
How many union workers does it take to put a "T" decal on a railcar?