Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

by jersey_emt

Great photos. Thanks for sharing!

by jtunnel

Very cool.

Too bad the number plates are going to the bottom too. Sure could use a work motor number plate. :-D

by JayMan

Cool pics, as usual dude!

So it looks like to be reefed we have a mix of R32s, some old work cars, and either R40s or R42s (I can't quite tell from the pics).
  by Head-end View

It did look like a 40 or 42 on the barge. I can't believe they'd junk them before all the 32's and 38's are gone. Isn't there any logic to this process?

by Fred G

Thanks guys!

I believe they're getting rid of the junk no matter what class car it is. That is a 42 on the southerly side of the barge.

by Gerry6309

The TA is known for getting rid of cars which are of no further use. Yard space is not unlimited. That being said, a lot of these cars are stainless steel, and I thought scrap prices were high recently?

by Crabman1130

Cheaper to reef then to clean out asbestos.

by njdiver

Any idea what their destination is?
  by Head-end View

I spent some time at Queensboro Plaza last week. Two "W" trains that came in were both R-68/A's. Weren't they using R-40 slants on that line in recent years? So where have the R-40's gone? Are they being junked already too?
  by jtrain22

Head-end View wrote:I spent some time at Queensboro Plaza last week. Two "W" trains that came in were both R-68/A's. Weren't they using R-40 slants on that line in recent years? So where have the R-40's gone? Are they being junked already too?
Yep the R40 slants are being reefed thanks to the R160s. I think there are like four to five sets of R40s on the W line if i recall correctly. But the R40s have been on the W line since 2004. While the W line is getting the N line R68s as the N line get the R160s...
  by jtrain22

Head-end View wrote:I spent some time at Queensboro Plaza last week. Two "W" trains that came in were both R-68/A's. Weren't they using R-40 slants on that line in recent years? So where have the R-40's gone? Are they being junked already too?
Yep the R40 slants are being reefed thanks to the R160s. I think there are like four to five sets of R40s on the W line if i recall correctly. But the R40s have been on the W line since 2004. While the W line is getting the N line R68s as the N line get the R160s...
  by b&p rupture

Fred G wrote:I'd like to invite you to look at my album of photos from outside of 207th Yard.

207th St Yard Subway Cars to be Reefed
Thanks for the photos Fred.

As a side note, just to clear up any confusion, the cars in photos #6 & #9, are not being scrapped/reefed, and are used on fan trips.

#6 http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery2/d ... fed-06.jpg

#9 http://www.madre-de-dios.org/gallery2/d ... fed-09.jpg