Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#161709  by 4 Express

Ok thanks Allan, I thought it was also mechanically
 #165938  by fordhamroad

-my two favorite stations, which I remember as a child and college student, are alas, no longer there. But check out the old photos etc.
-the first was the large elevated station at the Manhattan side of the Brooklyn Bridge. It was an awesome way to get to New York from Brooklyn. (the BMT on the Manhattan Bridge is good, but Brooklyn Bridge was even better.)
-the second was the Third Ave El terminal at Botanical Garden, Bronx. Some of the trains ran north one stop from the large Fordham Road El station in a separate spur, alongside the rural greenery of the Fordham University campus, and ending at the Botanical Garden. This was a small end-of the line station in a country setting, a few el cars parked there. The building, modelled on its neighboring Botanical Garden greenhouse, had a large glass dome and was brightly illuminated inside the station building. A many arched stone bridge led past the Fordham campus to Southern Boulevard, where you could walk to the entrance of the Garden.
It was the prettiest, most peaceful subway station I ever saw. Too bad it was torn down in 1951.
Roger

#165991  by 4 Express

Oh yes, the Botanical Garden station, I saw in in a pic.

#172786  by F40

My favorite will have to be E 180 St in the Bronx, where you can see a medley of R142/R142A #2 and #5 trains. (Also is a good photo opportunity and an excellent sight during nights, especially while the trains round the curve west of the station.) The yard is also next to the inbound track used by the #2 line. Also include the Bronx El's (particularly because I have memories there in the cold winter months when it's so peaceful towards the end of the lines and my experience on a 2 train to Wakefield, stuck many times in the blizzard of 2003 in February.)

GCT - 42nd St 4,5,6 is also a favorite (more looking at the R142/R142A's) and of course, particularly the 2 and 7 lines in the Redbird days (that set the mood to why I like it now.)
 #175431  by Septaman113

My second favorite station is probably Stillwell Ave./Coney Island. I haven't been there yet to see the new terminal though. I'll get there eventually. :wink:[/quote]

I took the D train there yesterday, and the new terminal in very nice. I remember how it was before and believe me, I was very impressed on how nice of a job the MTA did in rehabbing it.

#175694  by Fred G

While I think Stillwell, being new and modernized is a beautiful station and one of my favorites, I really enjoy the sheer muscle of Broadway Junction and Queensboro Plaza. These monstrosities in the air are awe-inspiring, even after they've been scaled back from their original configurations.

#175801  by 7 Train

Queensboro Plaza is always a fun sight, with R32/40/40M/42/68/68A BMT N/W trains and R62A IRT 7 trains always coming and going. There's plenty of variety. And to top it off, Amtrak, LIRR, NJ Transit and New York Atlantic freight are nearby (1 block away) at Sunnyside Yard.

#175858  by F40

7 Train wrote:Queensboro Plaza is always a fun sight, with R32/40/40M/42/68/68A BMT N/W trains and R62A IRT 7 trains always coming and going. There's plenty of variety. And to top it off, Amtrak, LIRR, NJ Transit and New York Atlantic freight are nearby (1 block away) at Sunnyside Yard.
That one slipped my mind. I almost don't believe it.

Anyway, the sight of Sunnyside Yard is a "picturesque" moment when viewing it from above on the 7 El.

Another good vantage point to seeing a yard I would say is 242 St - Van Cortlandt Park, especially at night when you see a trail of "1's" in red circles glowing perpendicularly to the 1 line.

#175861  by 4 Express

I think that the best view from the yards is from the streets, I also think another hot spot on the 7 is Woodside, a perfect railfanning moment, could've been better if the station had side platforms.

#175914  by Crabman1130

Franklin Ave. I remember when my Dad would take me to Cony Island. We would take the Fulton Line (BMT) and transfer to the shuttle. I thought the train coming into the terminal station was the coolest thing.

#179334  by Bay Head Local

My favorite station is Broadway Junction.
My second favorite is Coney Island/Stillwell Ave.
My favorite current line is the (A)
Second favorite line is the (J).
My favorite vintage lines would have to be between the (QJ) & the <C> (when it went to the Bronx & Rockaway Park )

#189251  by The Port of Authority

Favorite station --> Bergen Street on the F and G lines. Apart from it being my home station, the tilework is different than most other stations as it was one of the first to be renovated in the early 1990s. Also, there's the abandoned lower level, which occasionally you can view during a GO.

Favorite line --> The G line. It's not very long, but it has its interesting points (the deserted 21st Street-Van Alst station, the fast run between Nassau Avenue & Metropolitan, the Broadway station with its misspelled tile caption, etc.)

#189476  by NJTRailfan

The 7 Line. It would even be better if the Red Birds were still running on it. The A line is another fave. But bu favorite Stations are Atlantic Ave in Brooklyn, Howard Beach on the A and for some odd reason I don't know wh ybut Lowery St on the 7. Times Square is another good one.

#189866  by Carmine

My favorite station and the line I remember the most from my trips to NYC is 42nd St - Times Square Station and the 1 - Broadway/7th Avenue Local. It is by far the biggest subway station I have ever seen. :P

#194648  by GP38

My favorite station is Union Square-14th St on the Lexington line. It's sort of has a glow of mystery and is cavernous in the way it sounds as trains come through. It's curves and catwalks add to the mysteriousness of it. Always liked it.

My runner-up favorite is believe it or not Chambers Street on the Nassau line. You may think I'm crazy with this response, especially considering it's condition, but there is a real glow of elegance within that station that shines through, even in it's dilapitaded state.