Railroad Forums 

• Your favorite / least favorite paint schemes!!

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#39190  by NellsChoo

OK kiddies, it seems people like to express their views on locally spotted diesel paint schemes. Let's put them all together and see what we get! I will start:

GUILFORD: I actually think it's ok. I like the big "G". Maybe I like it just because it is the first freight line I'd ever seen.

CSX: I like the newer Dark Future scheme... less busy and very sharp. Not a fan of the light gray and blue ones...

NS: Like it, though they all look the same. Still, rather sinister! The ones with the white above the cab have an added sharpness

NECR: Not bad, but they don't shine very much. I like the fact they are a brighter color than usually seen on our local rails

HOUSATONIC: Like it, though the dirtier engines look too dingy. The Berkshire Route logo is nifty!

AMTRAK: primer gray.... weee.........

MBTA: Well, I am a woman, so I can say I like the purple. The newer schemes are sharp (non-straight purple stripe). Though on the F40 it can be rather bland

P&W: don't like it

Bay Colony: I have never seen a Bay Colony engine in person. I think if it was clean, it may look ok, but the photos I have seen are rather bland looking...

Did I miss any? What are your thoughts?

Jonelle

#39235  by SLR 393

SLR in Emmons yellow and the new G&W pumpkins are personal favorites, least favorite are the big borg lines and GRS (NS, CSX, UP). :(

#39407  by SnoozerZ49

My thumbs up goes to: New Hapshire Northcoast, Vermont Railway's Greeen Mountain scheme and Maine Eastern's F-40's, CPR and UP.

Thumbs down to: P&W, GRS, CSX, NS,CN, NECR, BNSF and the MBTA's commuter rail colors.

#39418  by NellsChoo

UhOh, I am as usual in the minority here!! Let's see what other results we get!

#39441  by ProRail

I think some of the Leasing Companies like FURX and CEFX have nicer paint schemes than the actual railroads themselves.

If you are sticking to actual railroads then my favorite railroads don't exist anymore.

#39674  by SnoozerZ49

Gee David:

I don't think your fvorites are to biased! I guess you have found your favorite railroad! I still work with some old New Haven guys. The numbers are quickly shrinking but a few are around. They are just as quirky, colorful, unconverntional, unpredictable and lovable. Just like the old New Haven. I sure agree with you on your taste in colors!

#39693  by NellsChoo

Well, I guess now we can start listing fallen flags as well!

The maroon/gold B&M scheme was interesting. I really like some versions of the blue B&M schemes, but not the last ones with block lettering... The harvest gold MEC was nice but as someone stated before, only when CLEAN! The reverse ones with green looked sharp, especially on the old passenger diesels. But I wasn't around to see any of these oldtimers in person, so I can't really comment from experience...

Oh, McGinnis NH wasn't all that bad.... was it?

#39700  by ewh

Best: Vermont Rail Systems

Worst: PennCentral

#39832  by MEC407

I'm one of the freaks who likes the Guilford paint scheme... especially when the paint is fresh or the locomotive has been washed recently. I think my reasoning is similar to Jonelle's: Guilford was the first railroad I ever saw. It was the railroad I grew up with. Love 'em or hate 'em, they have sentimental value to me.

I have never liked the Maine Central "harvest gold" paint scheme. It only stays clean for a day or two, and then it looks cruddy. Especially on the U-boats.

The old MEC pine-green with gold accents, however, was beautiful... as was the B&M maroon with gold accents.

I liked the B&M "blue dip" paint scheme from the late '70s/early '80s, with the large block lettering.

I like P&W's paint scheme, especially when it's fresh and/or clean.

I'm a big fan of Norfolk Southern's paint scheme. I think it's quite classy.

#40184  by Steam

When you state that "Guilford is the first railroad you ever saw", it starts to get scary! Who would've believed they'd be around this long?

Rutland's old green paint was nice, and GMR/VTR pretty much kept the same look.

Bangor & Aroostook's old gray/blue scheme was nice, but not so much the later all dark blue.

The B&M maroon and gold was great when it was new, but it was usually allowed to "weather" to all worn out yellow with traces of maroon here and there! Not so good. The early McGinnis blue, black and white "Bluebird" scheme was nice, and I'm surprised no entity has restored a GP9 in that livery! It was a classic!

I'm not too keen on some of the present day "beatnik" paint jobs. They look like some of the paint jobs you see on tour buses, etc. A big "thumbs down".

#40262  by NellsChoo

This question may not be just for New England: does any line actually have METALLIC paint?

#40264  by bshrdr

Hmmmm....

Fallen Flags:
* CV (either the black & red or green & gold)
* NH (any will do...)
* B&M (maroon & gold)

Active Roads:
* NECR
* P&W
* Housatonic

-Tom

#40533  by sjl

NellsChoo:

I think the old Quaboag Transfer operation used a "metallic" green on their RS-11s. It was really quite different from most "railroad" paint.

My favorite fallen flag schemes:

1. Rutland
2. D&H blue and gray
3. B&M maroon & gold when new - especially with the silver trucks. Classy.

Active rrs:

1. Vermont Rail Systems.
2. CSX "Dark Future".

Steam -- I agree, sometimes this board can make one feel, well, old....

(Honest, I've only seen the Rutland and B&M schemes at Bellows Falls and North Conway -- I'm not THAT old...) :D

ron

#40682  by mc367

Thumbs Up

*NECR
*GMRC/VTR
*CP Rail

Thumbs Down
*Guilford
*NS (spent a half a day on NS West Slope near Altoona, PA last week lets say I've had my fill of NS

Fallin Flag Thumbs Up
*LVRC
*NHVT
*Iron Road B&A/CDAC
*Maine Coast RS11 367

-Justin Franz

#45218  by bncsx

Great Question !
I have 2 faves, I love the BNSF "Heritage II" scheme. I have seen 3 or 4 of them working with some Guilfords, and on a railfan trip to Upstate NY, we saw a CN with the bright Red/Beaver medallion speed through a grade crossing about 8 feet in front of my truck. Very sharp !!

:-D