Railroad Forums 

• Young man killed at crossing in Blauvelt, NY

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#134759  by AMoreira81

SUV-train collision kills motorist

I do not see here why this 21-year old decided to drive around the tracks, when everything was clearly working properly, and other cars were stopped as they should have been at the East Erie Street in Blauvelt, off NY State Highway 303, in the Town of Orangetown, NY.

I feel sorry for the man's family, but he had this coming for driving around lowered gates.
Last edited by AMoreira81 on Thu Jun 09, 2005 3:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#134909  by crazy_nip

I kind of doubt the CROSSING killed him...

I would like to have seen that

#134930  by AmtrakFan

This would good for a Darwin Award.
 #135003  by Noel Weaver

AMoreira81 wrote:SUV-train collision kills motorist

I do not see here why this 21-year old decided to drive around the tracks, when everything was clearly working properly, and other cars were stopped as they should have been at the East Erie Street in Blauvelt, off NY State Highway 303, in the Town of Orangetown, NY.

I feel sorry for the man's family, but he had this coming for driving around lowered gates.
I feel a whole lot more sympathy for the engineer on the train that hit the
SUV in the first place, he/she deserves it even more than the family does.
Noel Weaver

#135042  by AMoreira81

I agree. The engineer would have seen this at only the last second (as his horn was blowing the short whistle), based on eyewitness accounts. He had less than 200 feet of warning, if that much.)

The crossing did not kill him, his questionnable thinking did. I should note that (before I joined this board), another motorist was killed at that crossing or another one in that same jurisdiction, also having driven around the gates. And CSX gets the bad rap?

Those were my thoughts as I rode over crossings up the same line in Haverstraw, on the local bus there.

#136624  by Robert Paniagua

I kind of doubt the CROSSING killed him...

I would like to have seen that

Well Nip, it may have been his fault (partially) but it might have not been. But he should have also known not to go around the gates either. That's why the main freight lines like the Upper Connecticut Amtrak NEC, should have Quad Gates to prevent anyone from circumventing the gates.

#150913  by Metalrailz

That's why the main freight lines like the Upper Connecticut Amtrak NEC, should have Quad Gates to prevent anyone from circumventing the gates.
Rob are the gates made from? What would prevent someone on a suicide mission from busting through the lowered arms and parking on the line? Even a quad gate system has its disadvantages.

#150920  by AmtrakFan

I feel bad for the Enginner my thoughts and prayers go with him and the Conductor.