Railroad Forums 

• Yorkrail / NS weekly coal 510, 511

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Pennsylvania

Moderator: bwparker1

#880261  by teamgunzi

Today's report is a bit sketchy, as I haven't had- nor will I have- time to look for the details of what went down. I was busy photographing the "Liberty Limited" today in Maryland, and now need to take the family out to cut our Christmas Tree.

Also known as the Army-Navy Train, Bennett Levin's two Pennsy E-units pulled 19 private cars from D.C. to Philly PA. At one point near Baltimore, it was heard on the scanner that they cannot stop, as they would likely need help getting moving again ;-) Aboard were severly wounded US Soldiers and their medical attendants, enroute to to the game. In the past, the Levin's have paid for the trip themselves, with service contributions from Amtrak and NS and perhaps a few others. God Bless !
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Upon return to Spring Grove around 1:30PM, I found a pair of YRC GP-16s in the mill working the west end of a cut of hoppers. It was likely the third cut of the day, as I saw two strings of empties-one the Plank and one far to the west of Colonial Valley Rd. A bit later, the radio indicated there was a train "coming down The Hill now". Although the reason for the GP-16s is currently unknown to me, likely the NS power was coming to town at this point with the remainder of the cars. (Please correct this if it's wrong). At least one crew was on-hand to tie-down the remaining loads as of 11:45PM (heard on scanner).

Sunday AM, the remaining loads were dumped, and the trio of black units pulled out of the mill at 10:00AM sharp. Although in the relative darkness and gloom of a rainy day, I chased for 5 locations. Leading was NS #9609 (in older paint), back-to-back with standard cab #8848 and then #2605 also facing rearward. The latter two were in 'Horsehead' stripes. Nice variety of power, but all black and in the rain.

The train had 100 cars and was the exact same car-set as used last week.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #882156  by teamgunzi

UPDATE:
12/18/10 D9 #9262 led the 510 from Enola, with D9 # 9609 elephant-style and SD70M #2605 trailing with 100 cars. All in black with the 2605 in 'horsehead' stripes. The EMD should lead the 511 at least back to Enola.

From the scanner feed, it sounded like the 9262 (solo) was possibly on the east end of it's cut and PUSHING the cars through: " OK, back one car" was heard repeatedly. Also, as I arrived on-site, the first cut of empties was being shoved out to the west end: there didn't seem to have been enough time to have run around the cut as usual. The second cut was backed in then PULLED forward one car at a time, as in warm weather.

No trains scheduled the next two weekends. Have a safe and Merry Christmas, and a Happy New Year !

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #885986  by teamgunzi

Well, it's been one full year since we were treated to a trio of SD80MACs on our 510. My, how time flies. :-)

There is a New Year's train sitting in York's Windsor Yard, ready for (possibly ?) a Sunday run to Spring Grove.

The power is D9# 9859 (leader) with SD70M-2 # 2656 elephant-style, and D9# 9851 facing the rear. All are wearing 'horsehead' paint.

Listening to the units idling for a few minutes, my Daughter commented that (with all the rumbling, air valves tweetering, and pumps cycling) the trio sounded like the Three Stooges taking a nap ;-)

Happy New Year to All !!!

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #890459  by teamgunzi

There is a 510 this weekend, although I'm not sure which unit led. Two units could have been the leader (7600 or 6564) , but after I arrived at the mill I find that one of them- a standard cab SD60 #6564 is on a siding not being used. D9 #9160 should lead the 511

The first cut was handled by ES-40DC #7600 (HorseHead paint)and the second crew is operating D9 #9160. With winter operations, the car heaters are in use, so the power now has to be run around to be on the east end of each cut. Today, the first two cuts were pulled through the dumper.

The lake by the WM Fast Freight bridge is about 80% frozen and snow covered. :-)

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #900107  by teamgunzi

UPDATES:

01/22/11: No train

01/29/11: No train

02/05/11: Yes there was a train. See details below. Part of the story is not written in the past-tense, as it was composed on time but never posted. Sorry, but Family always comes first- as it should :-)

02/12/11: No train
*********************************************************************************************************************
02/05/11:
Don't know what the problem is today, but as of 10:30AM the 510 is in the mill and NOT being unloaded.

The first cut is situated with its west end on the bridge and has its power on the east end hidden behind the (parked) second cut. It is sitting close to- but perhaps outside of- the car heater / dumper area. While I cannot see the 'lead' unit from public locations, the two units on the second cut are D9 #9172 and standard cab SD60 #2573.

At this point I'd be expecting a Sunday departure- assuming the problem gets resolved by this afternoon. The standard cab, in non-horsehead paint, should be the leader.
*********************************************************************************************************************

As it turned out, the mill had just installed a new car shaker (lowers onto the car and jostles it to help the coal fall through the bottom chutes), and apparently did not test it ahead of time. When the 510's first car was spotted, the shaker did not work. At about 12:30 PM, at least one of the two crews left. Some cars did get emptied that afternoon, but I'm not sure if YRC or the mill crew did it.

Sunday AM the YRC crew(s?) returned to the mill but only unloaded about half of the reportedly-103-car-train before quitting. Reports are that the new shaker "blew a bearing". At that time, the entire train- loads AND empties- were taken back to York. Most (if not all) of the remaining 50-or-so loads were spotted on an industrial spur near the E.Berlin Rd crossing, for unloading at a later time. The empties and the NS power were returned to Winsor Yard/FLOUR.

Sometime during the week, YRC (likely with YRC power) took the loads back to Spring Grove and unloaded them. As of Friday morning 02/11/11, there was a long string of empties in the Lincoln Yard, and no hoppers were to be seen near E. Berlin Rd.

I never did find out what the third NS engine was (the 510 leader).

Special thanks for additional details from John Frantz :-)

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #904151  by teamgunzi

UPDATE: 02/19/11 Not known if there was a train, but unlikely since there was one 02/11 and now on 02/26. This writer was on an NS West Slope trip last week :-)

02/26/11 The 510 was led by SD70M #2657, followed by D9-40CWs 9975 and 9325. Today the crews, which I heard call as MPA1 and MPA2, are faced with delays at the mill again. Seems the shaker is acting up big-time. After unloading only one car on the first cut, the shaker gave out again. Around 10:30, crew one pushed their cut away from the shaker out to PLANK. Shortly thereafter, crew two pulled their cut away from rt 116 out to PLANK also. Here, crew one would wait for the mill to replace the shaker motor. Looks like another long day, with a Sunday departure possible.

One note of great importance is that Enola had sent all three units FACING WEST. When crew two got to PLANK, they cut off and proceeded west to PORTERs to spin a unit. RARE MILEAGE !!!!! I'm aware of this happening at least two times before: once when I could not hang out to shoot the move (Daughter's Fastpitch game last summer), and once when I only caught the return at Colonial Valley. Today, however, things worked out fine: I heard the plan and was in position for a chase!

Upon arrival at Porters, both engines (which were the 2nd and third units on the 510) pulled onto the west leg of the wye and the trailing unit was cut off. The Lead unit proceeded to the switch at Kraft Mill Rd (MP 0.2), went east on the leg parallelling the CSX line, then came back on the third leg. 9975, now having been spun, backed up to couple with 9325 then proceeded east to the Plank. The 2nd unit on the 510 would now be the LEAD UNIT on the 511 !

The plan was to then run around it's original cut and be in position to pull to the shaker when it was time. I didn't check up on progress at that time, so I don't know if cut #one was back into the mill or not. Kind of unlikely, as a shaker motor probably could not be exchanged in a half-hour... All for now.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #904607  by teamgunzi

UPDATE for this weekend's train:

On Sunday, with only 7 loads remaining, the shaker broke down again around 1:00PM. Time estimates heard on the radio were: about 2:30PM repairs to be finished, about an hour to finish unloading, then about an hour to assemble the train and depart. If all went according to this plan, be looking for departure from Spring Grove "between 4:30 and 5 o'clock, back to York by 6".

As it turned out, the repair crew was to time-out by 3PM, so with the motor NOT to be fixed in time the train crew began assembling the train about 2:30- a full hour ahead. The 511, minus 7 loads which are to be dumped another day, pulled from the mill at 3:53PM with a planned stop at KBS Road.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #907416  by teamgunzi

UPDATE: last week's train, 02/26-27/11
On Tuesday, March 01, the 511 pulled from Enola and was reported through COVE westbound by 8:42 PM.

This weekend's train : 03/05/11
This train was what will one day be looked back fondly upon! Currently, the majority of railfan/rail photographers seem to have contempt for the GE Dash-9 locomotives. One day, however- perhaps in 10 or 15 years- many will be on the hunt for the last all-black lashup of three NS D9-40CWs. Maybe.

This weekend's 510 had -you guessed it- three Dash-9s. Led by #9972 (Horsehead paint), were the 9610 and 9342 both in older paint and facing east. 9342 should lead the 511.

The 7 leftover cars from last week will be at the end of the 511, with a red Conrail hopper holding the EOTD. These 7 had been spotted just east of the Colonial Valley x-ing to be shoved west along with the first cut of 15.

As of 10:30 AM, the crews were just swapping their cuts: about an hour off-routine due in part to conveyor issues in the mill.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2

UPDATE: Sunday 03/06/11
The train was being assembled as I was enroute to Church, and Mass was accented by the sound of horns for the three grade crossings within about 1,000 feet of rail. The train pulled at 11:00 on the hour.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #914902  by teamgunzi

Update: March 5-6: 9972 led 9610 and 9342, both facing east. 9342 should have led the 511.

Update: March 12-13: No train.

Update: March 19-20: No train.

March 26: Today's 510 had 9808 lead 2621 elephant-style, with 8355 trailing and facing east. 8355 will lead the 511. All three are in Horsehead paint. More trouble at the mill today, as the brand new shaker motor (installed this past week) broke at around 8am. As of 9:30, no train progress has been made. 9808 is working from the west end of it's cut today, telling me that the car heaters are likely not being used.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #915498  by teamgunzi

Stated in yesterday's post: Today's 510 had 9808 lead 2621 elephant-style, with 8355 trailing and facing east. 8355 will lead the 511. All three are in Horsehead paint. More trouble at the mill today, as the brand new shaker motor (installed this past week) broke at around 8am. As of 9:30, no train progress has been made. 9808 is working from the west end of it's cut today, telling me that the car heaters are likely not being used.

Update: By quitting time Saturday evening, relatively few empties were spotted west of the warehouse driveway. In fact, they were ALL west of Colonial Valley x-ing: a strong indicator that there were quite a few loads remaining. Throughout Sunday morning and afternoon, there were several more shaker problems that further delayed unloading. By about 4:30pm, the crew was able to finish up and start assembling the train. I'll assume they departed after 5pm, as I tuned-out the scanner after hearing that the air was being pumped up.

It was a beautiful but cold afternoon, and anyone shooting the departure in 'sweetlight' would need only to find a location where they weren't looking directly into the sun for the eastbound run. Most of the better photo vantage points are immediately ruled out. Had there been a blue engine in the consist, I would have tried...

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #917626  by teamgunzi

04-02-11: This weekend's train has a trio of -what else- GE D9-40CWs. 9673 led the 510 and is working the first cut from the west end. As of 9:30 am, only three cars total had been dumped. Not sure what the issue is today, and likely won't put too much effort into finding out as the weather is raw/cold/damp with occasional sprinkles AND it's a trio of D9s. Outlook for having blue visitors dwindles weekly, as NS seems to be repainting them this Spring at a rate of about one every three days or so. According to Chris R Toth's NSDash9.com webpage, as of March 29 there were only 104 blues left :-(

The 9230 followed elephant style, with 9651 trailing and facing east. 9651 will lead the 511 whenever it leaves...

9673 and 9230 are in NS stripes, and the 9651 is in shiny 'horsehead' paint. At least the 511 will have a clean leader.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2

As of 7:30pm, a cut was perhaps 2/3 finished, with a full cut waiting just inside the mill off of Rt. 116. There was also a string of loads out on the main in the distance (at least 15 cars and possibly many more). At Colonial Valley, the empties were still distant to the west with at least room for another string to be connected. There were no other empties to be seen.

Looks like another Sunday departure.

Ted G
 #920869  by teamgunzi

UPDATE: Sunday 040311
The 511 was assembled and pulled clear of Colonial Valley Rd at 12:57pm under a beautiful blue sky. The 9651 was pretty in it's gleaming fresh HorseHead paint. It likely was repainted out of a 'Stripes' paint scheme. Anyone know for sure?

After shooting some rosters, I went to the unique Western Maryland bridge just east of town to try some new angles. The sky quickly turned a bright overcast while I awaited departure. The train finally blew for the Rt. 116 crossing at the mill at 1:27pm. On the 'bright side'(pun intended), had it sayed sunny, an earlier departure would have been required for a good sun angle at this location to shoot facing westward as I did. And let me tell you: that bridge, which passes over the old PRR Frederick Branch rails and part of the Hanover Trolley Trail, sure makes a lot of noise! It made a loud bang and a series of softer ones, repeated for all 100 of the hoppers. Not sure, but perhaps the bridge or the rails need to be given a good once-over... Just my opinion.

UPDATE: Saturday 040911
This weekend's 510 had another trio of... Dash-9s !!! The 9565 led the 9651 and 9272. Due to having a life beyond railfanning plus a forecast of generally gloomy weather (typical around here), I did not put much effort or time into checking out this weekend's operation. There were two special details about this weekend's train. One highlight was that our friends at Enola :-) sent all three engines facing westward. I love when they do this, but lets request that the next time have a Conrail unit in the second position. That would give the 511 a BLUE leader and make for some great shots when the Blue does rare mileage running out to Porters to turn on the wye.

That's right: this weekend's second and third units ran light to Porters. As in the past, they pulled onto the westward leg of the wye where the trailing unit was dropped off. The lead unit (second on the 510) ran around the wye and backed up to the formerly trailing unit. Now facing eastward, we have a new 511 leader.

9651 would now lead 9272 and 9565 upon departure from Spring Grove. In case you didn't pick up on the other highlight here, I'll give you another big hint: Last week's 511 leader was a freshly painted 9651. Figure it out yet? This weekend's 511 ends up with the same leader! I'd have to go back through ther archives and see if this has ever happened since I've been logging it, but it seems to me this is a unique occurance.

I don't know when the train left: whether it was an after-dark Saturday or a gloomy Sunday.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #922604  by teamgunzi

Thanks to Josh Hollands for an early heads-up that there was a 510 enroute as of Thursday afternoon. Listening in on the RRradio westslope feed, he heard the 510 talking while still near Pittsburgh on the Conemaugh Line. This weekend's train makes it four weeks in a row with a coal train. Unless I missed something while reviewing last year's schedule, the most consecutive trains in 2010 was three- and that happened only twice. There cannot be a fifth one, as next weekend is the Good Friday / Easter celebration.

This week we got three more black wide-cabs: 9180 led 9883 elephant-style, with 7532 trailing and facing rearward. 9180 is still in the 'stripes' paint, while it's mates are both in 'horsehead'. 7532 will lead the 511 out of York County.

As of 9:03am, when the first cut was finished, there had aparently been no delays with cars averaging about 7 minutes each.

Weather conditions in Spring Grove today: windy with strong gusts, steady rain with occasional downpours, grey, gloomy, and generally not conducive to railfanning nor Conductor-related activities.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #927587  by teamgunzi

UPDATES:

Easter Weekend: no train due to it being...Easter Weekend !

April 30-May 1: No train this weekend. It figures that the first sunny/blue sky Saturday in three months does not have a train scheduled :-(

I'd bet the farm on there being a 510 for next weekend: besides there being one scheduled, a quick review of past annual schedules shows that the mill never goes more than two weeks without a delivery (unless I missed a date somewhere).

The odds of having a blue visitor to Spring Grove, let alone a blue leader, continues to diminish weekly. According to Chris R. Toth's NSDash9.com webpage, this past week marked the milestone of only 100 blue CR and LMS units on the NS roster. They've been turning them out at a rate of about one repaint every three-four days this spring...

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2
 #929633  by teamgunzi

Update: May 7 2011- As expected, there is a train this weekend. Arriving at the Sprenkle Rd. crossing at the top of "The Hill" at 5:57am today, ES40DC #7501 led D9 #9648 back-to-back, with D9 #9792 trailing facing forward. 9648 is in 'white stripes' with the others in 'horsehead' paint. 9648 will lead the 511, and (since I did not hang out to see how the power split occured), I can only surmise that the first crew operated with the first two units instead of just one unit as is the norm.

I ventured out today in search of the inbound 510 for two reasons: to see if the sun would be cresting the hilltops in time to give 'sweetlight' to the train's arrival at this location, and to possibly get trains 'out of my system' for the day, so I could concentrate on the family's spring yard sale. As it turns out, another five minutes or so would have been perfect, as the tail of the train was beautifully lit as it came to a stop just west of the crossing. And, getting the unit numbers early in the day and seeing that there was no 'color' in the consist allowed the yard sale to proceed uninterrupted ;-)

While sitting in my lawn chair collecting money from strangers for their perceived treasures, I noted grade crossing horn blasts at 9:45, 11:30, 2:45 and 4:35pm. These blasts are when the light power returns east at the Colonial Valley crossing, after having just shoved an empty cut to the west of CV. Horns are generally NOT used when shoving at CV since the Conductor is riding the lead car and will flag the crossing as needed.

According to NSDash9.com, as of Thursday past, there were only 95 former Conrail units still in blue. That's five repaints in one week... Hey friends at Enola: thanks for the ES40 DC and send us some color soon please !!!!! Or something that begins with the number "1" (a shiny new SD70 ACE).

Weather conditions in Spring Grove today: beautiful clear blue sky with temps in the 60's and a steady breeze from the northwest. Brief shower around 5pm, quickly turning clear and rapidly cooling thereafter.

Ted G
WM York Sub MP 2.2