Railroad Forums 

• Yes folks, it REALLY IS official...

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#232716  by MEC407

Guilford Rail System is no more -- it is now Pan Am Railways.

And, in fact, Guilford Transportation Industries is now Pan Am Systems.

Looks like "The Big G" will be fading away in the months and years ahead, to be replaced by "The Big Globe."

Here's an article from the Lowell Sun. They interviewed Fink (presumably the elder one). Anybody who still thinks this is just an elaborate April Fools joke hopefully will be convinced. (Although if seeing Guilford's "new" web site wasn't enough to convince you, I don't know what will...)

Lowell Sun article: http://www.lowellsun.com/front/ci_3675606

#232719  by johnpbarlow

Fink said Pan Am Railways is adding more business in Mexico and Canada, and said
What business does GRS/PAR generate in Mexico?

#232732  by MEC407

johnpbarlow wrote:
Fink said Pan Am Railways is adding more business in Mexico and Canada, and said
I think that might have possibly been a misprint and that it was actually referring to the airline. The airline already flies to Puerto Rico, and I remember reading in another article a while back about plans to fly to somewhere in Mexico and also one of the Canadian Maritime provinces.

But then again, who knows... maybe they've got big plans to buy up some ailing Mexican and Canadian shortlines. :wink:

#232761  by SP 4449

I really hope this is a new beginning for the railroad. Although after watching Star Wars and viewing the Pan Am logos on the boxcars, I asked myself, doesn't the logo look like the Death Star? Add another circle and it could look close. Let's hope for the best, but beware of the Dark Side:)

#232786  by Rockingham Racer

johnpbarlow wrote:
He might mean Mexico, ME. They may get business in China and Norway, also! :P

#232797  by bwparker1

You just have to shake your head and wonder, "why"....

Why do they waste money repainting and rebranding their railroad when they let customers walk out the door, provide lousy, lousy service, play games for 10 years with the downeaster and lay off their police force?

Why?

#232890  by paulrail

WHY?........because, simply put,.....IT"S GUILFORD!!

They defy all logic! :wink:

Paul

#232930  by bwparker1

I know they do... but I still have to ask the hard questions :wink:

#233026  by Jonny Bolt

bwparker1 wrote:You just have to shake your head and wonder, "why"....

Why do they waste money repainting and rebranding their railroad when they let customers walk out the door, provide lousy, lousy service, play games for 10 years with the downeaster and lay off their police force?

Why?
I wonder why as well. Only conclusion I can come to is that the people who run Gillfid are the WRONG people to be at the top. Dopes who wreck businesses and seemingly shove customers out tha door should be SHOVED OUT THE DOOR THEMSELVES.

It seems Gillfid just cant get it right. Do they want to truely restructure, or is this just a rebrand/relabel? Because if this is an attempt at a true restructuring of their business, it is a wimpy and doomed attempt. All the Finks and the other cronies need to go.

#233029  by bwparker1

Jonny Bolt wrote: Because if this is an attempt at a true restructuring of their business, it is a wimpy and doomed attempt. All the Finks and the other cronies need to go.
That is because the Finks and the Mellons run the show and own it, so I don't think they'll be going anywhere.

What I want to know is, How they are viewed inside the rail industry, specifically in the eyes of Class 1 carriers and other regionals, (Rail America, G&W, etc.)

#233036  by MEC407

I think you'll find that most railroads, and most Guilford customers, are generally very unlikely to say how they really feel about Guilford... for fear of losing service, or worse, fear of being sued.

#233175  by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

#233180  by viewfinder

RBP
Last edited by viewfinder on Fri Nov 30, 2007 9:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#233244  by Cowford

What I want to know is, How they are viewed inside the rail industry, specifically in the eyes of Class 1 carriers and other regionals, (Rail America, G&W, etc.)
Pretty much the same way as is found on this site. The day-to-day working relationships with mid-level management is usually cordial and professional, but corporately, they're seen as an enigma and a bit of a joke.

#236071  by GP40MC 1116

I have heard from many.. from people on Amtrak and MBCR as well as a Railroad up in NH-New England Southern. From all those railroads some employee's have told me that GRS aka Pan Am or w/e isn't a great company. As far as railfans go, your odds of getting police called on you by GRS employee's just for taking a picture is very great.