Railroad Forums 

• Yard Extra Board

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1255661  by [email protected]

Greetings,

I will finally be marking up soon for the first time on our terminal's yard xtra brd and had a question for you all. After reviewing the extra board, everyone has an off day. Does this mean they will not be called on this day? Meaning they are actually off duty this day and in short not required to have a phone on their hip during this time?

Thanks for any insight and replies.

EC
 #1255795  by jogden

[email protected] wrote:I will finally be marking up soon for the first time on our terminal's yard xtra brd and had a question for you all. After reviewing the extra board, everyone has an off day. Does this mean they will not be called on this day? Meaning they are actually off duty this day and in short not required to have a phone on their hip during this time?
That depends entirely on the contract with the carrier. I would contact someone in your terminal who is more familiar with the particulars of that terminal and extra board assignments. My only experiences with the extra board have all been the same...never go far from the phone because you were on call 24 hours a day, eight days a week.
 #1256057  by COEN77

Depends on the railroad & contract. Some rest days are voluntary means a person has to call an request their rest day others might have a X-board gaurentee and it will automatically mark a person off. Even in that case if a person got called out right before the rest day started they would have to call in to request it after getting off duty. You'll learn the ropes once on the property ask a lot of questions. Only stupid question is the one not asked.
 #1256603  by TotalLamer

I assume it depends on the railroad, but on CSX, yes the Switchman's Board (yard extra board) has 1 off day where you can't be called... it wouldn't be an off day otherwise, would it? You can also do what's called "Early Layoff" the day before by calling into the Crew (mis)Management IVR and requesting it. Basically means that you won't be called in for a job the day before your off day after 8pm. The time an "Early Layoff" starts depends on the specific contracts where you're at though.
 #1256987  by jz441

On BNSF (Santa Fe lines) you have to call the crew office to observe your day off on the yard extra board...
 #1257109  by supernova1972

Yeah CSX was already stated but you don't have to call or anything. If you have a Wednesday off day, they can call you at 21:59 on Tuesday at the latest and at 22:01 Wednesday night. They may call between then but you don't have to answer the phone unless you want some more money.