Railroad Forums 

• Yard condition in Genesee Jct.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#350514  by railwatcher

from NY railfan site, current changes in CSX operations has changed the delivery of cars to the LA&L at Genesee Junction yard. The yards physical condition is apparently not good for the big CSX engines. As posted by:

Roadster wrote-
New to the process is now Q386 does the pickup at Genesee junction as it usually has Syracuse cars to drop on the headend and Q632 doesn't. Last nite we attempted to pickup 19 cars in Genesee junct. but were blocked by a pull part joint on track 2. This yard is not equiped for large 6 axle power and I think it's only a matter of time for a grounding. B766 from Dewitt is handling the east work, usually taking 12 hrs for the trip.

Railfan87 wrote-
The track in Genesee Junction is not in the best shape. I was suprised to see them pulling 3, six axle units into the yard when I was there and witnessed a pickup. The yard leads arent too bad, but most of the ties in the middle of the yard are completley broken in half. I agree with roadster....a derailment is in the realm of possiblility

Let's hope this doesnt become a reality or a continued delivery problem.

#350907  by Luther Brefo

The most defining points of Genesee Junction was seeing the LA&L working the yard and seeing the mud climb up as the engines and cars ran over the rail What was really happening was the sinking of the yard in some spots. Perhaps CSX will make an effort to spruce up their yard or sell it.

What I'd really like to see is an expansion to five tracks with at least Class 2 workmanship (rated for 25 mph freight).
 #354144  by FarmallBob

railwatcher wrote:Railfan87 wrote-
The track in Genesee Junction is not in the best shape.
Railwatcher - "not in the best shape" indeed!

Here's a recent shot of the east end of the southernmost of the 3 storage sidings at the junction. (The WS Genesee River bridge can be seen in the far background). ...FB

#354448  by PVRX1

Aaaaah, no problem the ground looks frozen enough to hold the rails in place. :>)

#359085  by 8222

So what's the issue? If you park 'em in a low spot, you don't need to tie 'em down with a hand brake... :wink:

#359088  by 8222

So what's the issue? If you park 'em in a low spot, you don't need to tie 'em down with a hand brake... :wink: