• Yard at Maspeth Avenue in Queens

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
  by Legio X

I watched SW-1001's 101 and 106 switch the yard at Maspeth Aveue in Queens today. They moved a cut of centerbeam flatcars and boxcars around the yard. I noted that the trackage in the yard was in bad shape, the Maspeth Ave. crossing itself is in bad shape and that there is a great deal of debris laying around the yard. Is this a stub-ended yard, or can it be entered from both the east and the west from the LIRR's Montauk Branch? Is'nt there also an abandoned yard further west of this yard?

by DogBert

Further west is Blissville, long abandoned. Have they cleaned it up at all? last time I was there it was full of trees growing in the rails and a shopping cart parking lot for some homeless residents...

Back to maspeth - that is the name of the yard. I don't think there is access from the west end. Just stub track that ends at 49th street crossing.

Speaking of which, by the intersection of 49th and maspeth, way down at the end of the siding that goes southward between the buildings there, there is a boxcar parked down there behind the gate - is that an active customer way back there, or just an abandoned box car?

Like anywhere else around LI freight territory, it's hard to imagine that some of these tracks are still used just by looking at them.

by Jayjay1213

Actually I do believe there is two customers back there.

by DogBert

2 ? !

That's simply amazing. Any idea how often? I'd love to catch that on 'film' some day...

by Jayjay1213

If i said once a week, even that would be a stretch.
The one customer is a lumber guy, and when he gets flats, they go to Yard A, so only his boxcars go back there.

by emfinite

I have seen them put a car away there once. In the picture, the tracks curve south behind the building. Is this the siding you're referring to?:

by Jayjay1213

The track in the picture leads back to the old Rock track where they are loading the COFC now, and also to one of the Chinese food places. The track to the left of it goes to Star, its a paper place that used to do 8 cars a day and now does maybe 8 a month.

by Legio X

Joe:
Good work, once again with this picture. Keep posting pictures like this, if possible. It gives us a good idea of the customers NYA serves, what their spurs look like, and what kind of rolling stock they get. Of course be careful, and don't trespass in areas that are clearly off-limits.

by Legio X

I have a question about the Maspeth Ave. area. A few blocks north of Maspeth Yard, a spur crosses the street. On the west side of the crossing, the spur runs alongside a building where employees seem to park almost on the track itself. East of the crossing, the spur is apparently paved over in a (Coca-Cola???) parking lot? What is the story with this spur? Is it served west of the crossing by NYA, or was it last served in the LIRR days?
  by freightguy

Joe nice picture. I think I saw that same conductor trying to steal hubcabs in Fresh Pond yard.

by Sir Ray

Legio X wrote:I have a question about the Maspeth Ave. area. A few blocks north of Maspeth Yard, a spur crosses the street. On the west side of the crossing, the spur runs alongside a building where employees seem to park almost on the track itself. East of the crossing, the spur is apparently paved over in a (Coca-Cola???) parking lot? What is the story with this spur? Is it served west of the crossing by NYA, or was it last served in the LIRR days?
Is the crossing on 58th St., and the building on the west a Ambulance facility? If so, the building on the east used to receive a boxcar every so often during the mid-90s (perhaps before NY&A). I believe this spur connects to the big branch which 56th Rd, and which once served the Coors distributor around the same period in addition to the aforement building east of 58th St.

by Legio X

How many of the spurs and yard tracks shown on the map are still in use, or even still in existence though dormant?

by Legio X

I passed by the other day and saw a few reefers, a CN boxcar and a pair of loaded centerbeam flatcars. No switching action going on, though. The snow on the ground made it easier to see the tracks. I could'nt see anything on the track that goes off between the buildings on the south side of the yard, and I saw that the spur that goes north across Rust St. is blocked by a large pile of debris almost at the street. How long has that been blocked, and thus not able to be serviced?

by DogBert

Going back to the nov. post - I believe all the tracks are still in place (with a possible exception being those marked at the bottom of the map as being by the freight office = no idea if that's still there. Isn't there an MTA lot on that land now??), with the tracks north of rust st. being out of service (are they even connected anymore?).

For the most part a lot of it is still there, and in use even. I'm not sure specifically which tracks though. The 'new' COFC customer loads in there somewhere as well.