Railroad Forums 

• Yard at Maspeth Avenue in Queens

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #754962  by DogBert

Finally getting around to posting some of my photos - most of these were shot in the last 2 months on 2 separate occasions (once when they just started taking cars, then later...)

The newly constructed conveyor running under 2 of the yard tracks.

Cars go all the way back to the switch near the 49th st. crossing now.

Length of the yard

Not quite built conveyor in the background

I saw a boxcar here also in the last week for food unloading, so I'm guessing those customers haven't moved or disappeared. The building supply place s/e of Maspeth ave crossing had some lumber cars along with boxcars parked on the next track over that leads back to the old SAB siding.
 #782780  by Teutobergerwald

Friday, just before noon, I saw 261 & 268 in the yard, just west of the crossing. I assume they had just pulled the long train of black GATX hoppers into the yard. Do they cut-off from the train and run all the way down to where the yard ends at the stub next to the 48 St. crossing and run around the train? Would've like to have seen it coming in. There were some empty centerbeam flatcars at the east end of the yard, and no boxcars, reefers or other rolling stock in either end of the yard. Is it just the stone customer west of the crossing and the lumber yard east of the crossing getting cars there now?
 #782987  by DogBert

There's at least two other customers further back, out of street view. The one who's siding you can see further around n grand ave gets boxcars of foodstuff all the time.

No idea where the customers that used to unload where the rock sidings are now. maybe arch street.

There's no way you could squeeze 2 38s on that little stub by 48st crossing. I'm not quite sure how they maneuver in that yard, would love to see it sometime myself.
 #783144  by rb

I saw FPCH in the Bronx on Friday afternoon with 20+ GATX hoppers on the head end...
 #791409  by Tommy Meehan

Bert some great photos, thanks for posting.

One question I have, I haven't been over there in quite a while. Does the conveyor load to a storage area or directly into trucks?
 #791792  by DogBert

Storage area. One of these days I'll drop by and get more recent shots showing how it looks now. Very busy place. The yard regularly contains 10-20 cars now.
 #792820  by Tommy Meehan

DogBert wrote:One of these days I'll drop by and get more recent shots showing how it looks now. Very busy place.
Yes I'll look forward to seeing those, thanks.
 #959441  by DogBert

stone delivery has been very active (around 20-40 cars a week I'd guess, potentially more).

I'm not sure who's getting armn's - i havent seen those down there myself. There is a new-ish customer further back that receives boxcars. I'm assuming more Chinese food supply...