Railroad Forums 

• Yard at Maspeth Avenue in Queens

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #161696  by CR6618

freightguy wrote:....this was offset by regaining Riverhead Builders so the aforementioned marketing person claims.
Riverhead Builders gets maybe one car a month.

#161720  by Legio X

Where is this Riverhead Builders facility located, in Maspeth?

#163029  by SwitchMonkey

New ballast laid in Maspeth Yard. Same ballast will dissapear into the mud and/or fall through the hole in the center of the earth to China as soon as the boys in the grungy red trucks tamp it.

#163567  by jayrmli

The only reason Riverhead Builders receives a car every once in a blue moon is to keep the switch active. If there's no business going in there, there's no need to pay for switch maintenance.

Riverhead Building supply also has a heavy financial interest in the trucking business on the east end. That's why they ship mostly by truck. They'd be cutting off their nose to spite their face otherwise.

Jay

#164782  by Legio X

Is there a Riverhead Builders facility in Maspeth?

#164880  by jayrmli

No. They're in Riverhead.

Jay

#196650  by Legio X

I saw the crew with the red trucks working in the yard the other day. As far as rolling stock goes, there were two TrailerTrain centerbeam flatcars sitting empty towards the east end of the yard, and a cut of reefers west of the crossing, one of which had a truck backed up to it for unloading. Nothing else, rolling stock or motive power, was to be seen. Is there going to be any re-configuring of the trackage in the yard?

#200221  by DogBert

Bump.

Took a few photos today of a ratty 101 with 106 switching. Seemed really busy.

RE: The spur that crosses rust street - there was a truck with a dumpster n the trackway there heading north. I think the area was just cleaned up so whoever is in the warehouse next door could park in there...

#200329  by Legio X

So that has'nt been cleared for a resumption of service by the NYA?

#200344  by DogBert

So far as I could tell, no, but that's just from observation with no inside info to back it.

Speaking of this whole area - anyone have any idea what's going on with the phelps dodge site, or that spot across the street that basically looks like a strip mine?

#207855  by Legio X

Anything new about the clean up of the spur that crosses Rust St. on the north side of the Maspeth Yard? Is someone going to get rail service there?

#251795  by Legio X

Today the 156 (looks awesome!) and 9373 (awaiting painting) were working the yard around 1100. Elevating Maspeth Ave. over the yard would make a great deal of good sense......
 #252172  by SwitchMonkey

The RS-302, night time yard switcher, sometimes runs down to Maspeth at night to run a cut of Intermodal Flats for a customer down there. Ususal consist is 12-18 90 foot flats. This saves the day crew from working with too long a train.

Power used is whatever is available

#430314  by Spartan Phalanx

On Wednesday, while crossing over the lower Montauk Branch at 49 St., west of the Maspeth Yard, I noticed an end-of-track bumper just to the left of the crossing on the south side of the tracks. Is that the far western end of the Maspeth Yard? If so, why is it not connected down there? Wouldn't that make things easier for the crews working the yard and the rest of the lower Montauk customers?

Also, there was a large amount of gondolas for C&D debris, and some long COFC flatcars, but no other types of rolling stock in the yard. I recall in the past being able to see boxcars, centerbeam and bulkhead flatcars and reefers when passing by on Rust St. Has that business died out for NYA in that area? I did'nt see any motive power down there either, at the time, around 1220.

#430321  by jtunnel

That track with the bumper is just for a locomotive escape track and a run-around for the rest of the yard. Mainline switches are expensive and the east end of the yard seems to be all the mainline connections the railroad deemed fit. Old track maps show that track being that way when there were even more customers in the area

As for the C&D taking over the "cabbage" track, guess the C&D pays better then produce :-D

Those cabbage track customers are still around, they just moved them someplace I've yet to find. I still see reefers on the Maspeth job trains from time to time. I figure they are up the middle of the yard where the tarcks go into the street near Railroad Avenue.

The lumber yard on the east end still gets boxcars and center beams, as does the box factory get the paper service boxcars.

John