Railroad Forums 

• Yard A

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #20481  by Gruntled

What job goes to yard A these days? What time? Who is the crew? I find myself in the neighborhood pretty often these days.

How long has the factory cafeteria been closed? I took a couple of co-workers there for lunch a couple of weeks ago only to find a locked door. Had to settle for cat foo yung from the Chinaman on the corner.

I realise "Chinaman" is not the proper nomenclature, Dude.

#20495  by jayrmli

Greg and I were just mentioning tonight that we haven't seen you post in awhile. Hope everything is Ok with you.

The job in question would probably be the RS-40, with the "Commander" as the engineer and "Smoochie" as the conductor. I'm not sure of their exact start time, but it is in the morning. That's a foriegn railroad to me in there.

Jay

#20533  by 7 Train

Most of Yard A has been torn up in the East Side Access project.

#20574  by Gruntled

Yard A, Track A, whatever.

I'm fine Jay just kinda bored with the topic. RR.net seems kinda dull ever since the format change a while back.
 #20576  by Knife-Switch

Ya Gruntled I hear ya!!!!
Seems they even go about censoring posts that are too true for sensitive ears. So why bother posting when Big Brother decides what facts can be shared and how much of the uglier side of NYAR can be exposed!!!!

#27066  by JOHN TRICARCIO

ive been visiting sunnyside for a while now since march
under queens blvd overpass its all empty as far up as 35th street
there was landfill going in the area near queens blvd or maybe it was just the construction crews stirring around the ground
from queens blvd to thompson ave theres the new track being legged out
and theres still more new track going towards hunter pt avenue
just exactly where will
1 new new station be located
2 the layup tracks for cars
3 1st day of operations ???? whenever

good luck john t brooklyn

its great to be back in the forum
 #27350  by rb

I saw the yard job switching in A yesterday morning. What arrives in the 40' PROCOR tanks? Dielectric fluid for Con-Ed, or something else?

#27365  by Mr GP10

rb... You didnt happen to notice what time it was when you saw the train did you? Just curious. Also did you happen to see what kind of motive power was on the train? If not no problem. Thanks in advance. :)

#27411  by rb

Yo, GP.

It was about 9am. Every few months I will commute to work from my family's home on the 7 (I grew up riding that train!). I always pass the team yard around 9, and the last few times they've been working as I passed.

Power was at least one SW1001 (the dark green one); I couldn't see the second unit as it was tied up under an overpass.

Rob

#27463  by JOHN TRICARCIO

rb your right
ive seen the same green unit a few times i was there
same location under the underpass i was there about
11am on several days in march and april

good luck john t brooklyn ny

#120780  by Lobiquious Monroe

On my way to work today at Riteaid, I seen what appeared to be a cut of approx. 13 CSX coil cars and plate F 89 foot auto parts box cars. Looks like freight is really building up over there. I was watching the yard engine drill the yard and then I was able to see the Amtrak trains in sunnyside, so all in all it was a great day. I went inside the yard and the yardmaster told me freight was really coming back. He told me they were going to rebuild the yard for electric and freight trains. Cant wait to see this :-)

#121025  by DogBert

coil cars? sounds like a new customer, along with that 89 footer.

these were in the team yard next to the new shop building and hunters point av right?

I only recently noticed that when LIRR had all the track laid to that new shop, they upgraded the NYA track that accesses the team yard from old yard A. Complete with concrete ties!

The team yard tracks seem to be the same as they were - unrebuilt.

Is that old LIRR MOW boxcar still in there or has it finally been cut up?

#121172  by tushykushy

Dogbert, don't listen to this clown. He was trying to spread word that 155 rerailed in Amityville. He was probably fooled by the constant thumping of it's numerous amount of flat spots.

Lobiquious Monroe = Image

#121175  by jayrmli

Dogbert:

The runaround tracks to the LIC team yard were rebuilt, but they were wood ties, not concrete. Only the leads to Arch Street Shops were concrete.

Jay

#121187  by DogBert

with that name i should ahve smelt troll...

Jay, i think they're all concrete now (the leads). at first it wasn't upgraded, but I could have sworn I saw them all as concrete last week from the 7 subway... ? I didn't get a good look out there though...