Railroad Forums 

• Yard A

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.

#121251  by RRChef

These trolls are really getting out of hand.

#121270  by Mr GP10

there are 4 tracks 2 have the concrete ties those are for the LIRR 2 are for the NYA the 2 for the NYA have wooden ties. I hope this helps.

#388472  by DogBert

DIGGING up an old thread. heh.

DIGGING has begun on what was once Yard A. They started a few weeks ago. On the other side of northern blvd they've been lowering stuff into the hole. looks like they laid a mining RR down there and sent in a mining RR vehicle or two.

Nevermind that though - it looks like in the last week or two they moved the temporary wall between the work area and amtrak in (west) a few feet - are they going to lay a track there to haul out all the dirt/rock/etc? Or will local streets be jammed up with lots of trucks?

if ny&a gets to haul that dirt and rock out for the ESA project that'd make some cash I bet...

#388532  by Scrap em Again

There is something brewing......

#388630  by DogBert

Scrap em Again wrote:There is something brewing......
figured that... i read somewhere that there'd be something like an estimated 2mil tons of bedrock to be pulled and i can't imagine that coming out in midtown... thus the mining RR going in I assume as well...

#389046  by Spartan Phalanx

Didn't the LIRR and then the NYA transport rock out to Prima in Holtsville that had been excavated during the water tunnel project in Queens, back up until the late-Nineties?

#389505  by DogBert

Yes, in old ore cars...

#389557  by jtunnel

There is going to be a 40" narrow gauge used by the contractor who is working on ESA.

They have moved two tracks on the west side of Sunnyside (the tracks that go to the service area) so they can dig a portion of the open cut that will eventually link the ESA tunnels with the Mainline

The rock is supposed to go out via the NY&A, contractor is looking into what type of cars they can lease. Tunnel boring machine componets are just starting to be delivered