Railroad Forums 

• Yard 21 - Somerville

• Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.
Discussion relating to commuter rail, light rail, and subway operations of the MBTA.

Moderators: sery2831, CRail

#1521244  by dieciduej

CRail wrote: Sun Sep 29, 2019 2:26 pm Mod Note: Merged with existing Yard 21 topic, thanks dieciduej for the link!
Ruh roh raggy!
 #1530010  by RenegadeMonster

Work has been going on with the Yard 21 lead tracks.

Last month they cut all the brush and cleaned everything up.

Today I noticed that the removed the set of rails closest to the retaining wall.

Are they removing it for the sake of removing it? Do they need to remove them to to repair the retaining wall?

Or are they planning some thing else. Such as redoing this section of rail to make it usable again?

I wonder if the set of rails closest to the Orange line will be coming out soon as well.
 #1530059  by bostontrainguy

Thanks. Please keep us informed. This is all very interesting.

I see they are building new housing right next to the Mystic Wharf Branch. Just what we need . . . more NIMBYS to block the reactivation whenever it might happen.
 #1530087  by dieciduej

RenegadeMonster wrote: Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:39 pm Work has been going on with the Yard 21 lead tracks.

Last month they cut all the brush and cleaned everything up.

Today I noticed that the removed the set of rails closest to the retaining wall.
I took this picture from an Orange Line train this morning of the Yard 21 Lead track removal. They were using the trackage next to the OL for Hyrailers.

Yard 21 Lead Removal
Yard 21 Lead Removal
Yard 21 Lead.png (1.45 MiB) Viewed 3658 times
 #1530127  by GP40MC1118

The Yard 21 leads - 3rd & 4th Irons are being rehabbed for service. There will be about a three engine length
stub at the Assembly Square end for an engine/engines to runaround their train.

D
 #1530160  by ceo

Is this for the PAR freights that will now have to use the Yard 10 lead to get to the Eastern Route, because of the GLX?
Last edited by CRail on Mon Jan 06, 2020 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: Unnecessary quote removed. Do not use the "quote" button as a reply button.
 #1530198  by GP40MC1118

Primarily for PAR to store cars or runaround trains in the FX area. They literally have no yard space
anymore since GLX took away Yard 8. There is space out to Everett now that CSX is out of there.
MBTA also uses these tracks to access the T-Pad which is inside the wye at FX.

D
 #1530206  by MBTA3247

"T-Pad"?
 #1530243  by neman2

MBTA3247 wrote: Mon Jan 06, 2020 1:09 pm"T-Pad"?
I believe he is referring to what the T calls tracks that have a section paved like a crossing so a hy-rail vehicle can drive on to the track and lower its hy-rail gear. They are necessary where there are not grade crossings within a reasonable distance. Usually called a truck pad.
 #1530250  by GP40MC1118

No, the T-Pad is the fenced in area inside the wye at FX. Top end is just off Innerbelt Road, its
the fenced-in area between the two legs of the wye.

D
 #1530899  by RenegadeMonster

Both Yard 21 tracks have now been removed.

All ties form track 1 have now been removed as well.

What are they doing further down. Are they making a connection to the mainline heading towards North Station?
 #1530981  by GP40MC1118

There is no need to make a connection to North Station. A crossover known as the 645 has always
been in place within FX Interlocking that allows a westward move towards Tower A via Mainlines 1-3.

D
 #1531015  by dieciduej

Here is a photo, I took on Sunday (1/12/20), of ROW where the Yard 21 leads were. Can someone clarify the track numbers, please.

Yard 21 Lead sans Rails
Yard 21 Lead sans Rails
Yard 21 Lead (No Rail).png (1.85 MiB) Viewed 2739 times