Railroad Forums 

• Yaphank

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #466878  by Spartan Phalanx

What customers does NYA serve in Yaphank, and how often? I recall a lumber/building materials customer (Georgia-Pacific, perhaps?) across from the station. Isn't one of those funky signals the LIRR uses east of KO out there too?

#466886  by SwingMan

Georga Pacific is one of the custumers out there, and I think Yampank Feeds? That is a Block Limit signal,out east it is"dark territory". I heard this funny story once that a freight backed into GP. The manager(I think) was looking for them and swore they were just there. Then the garage door opened and there she was, sittin in the building :wink: . lirr415-Peter

#466953  by Dump The Air

Theres the Building Materials guy, the Team Track, theres also Custom Earth on the other side of Carmens River.

And yes Yaphank has a block limit, manual block signal YA.

#467114  by KFC Jones

Never heard of Carmen's river, is that the same as Lake Fester?

PS Yaphank is also home of YA Dad and former home of YA Boy.
 #467197  by jonvit69

been living in yaphank all my life. yes there is georgia -pacific.and yes they drove through the other side.. there used to be accent flooring,which is now demolished. i can go as far back as my family loading potatoes on box cars there to the city. a couple of years ago the brookhaven dump was getting lime delivered by the railroad. there is a siding between moriches middle island rd and carmens river that looks like "stone train" cars delivered. wish i was smart enough to take pictures years ago. saw a propane accident on yaphank ave. really saw a lot of accidents there. they didnt put the gates up till 1973.but the worse was a derailment west of river rd tresle. have the newsday article somewhere.
 #467199  by jonvit69

been living in yaphank all my life. yes there is georgia -pacific.and yes they drove through the other side.. there used to be accent flooring,which is now demolished. i can go as far back as my family loading potatoes on box cars there to the city. a couple of years ago the brookhaven dump was getting lime delivered by the railroad. there is a siding between moriches middle island rd and carmens river that looks like "stone train" cars delivered. wish i was smart enough to take pictures years ago. saw a propane accident on yaphank ave. really saw a lot of accidents there. they didnt put the gates up till 1973.but the worse was a derailment west of river rd tresle. have the newsday article somewhere.

#488465  by Spartan Phalanx

Anything new to report about NYA service to Yaphank, or is it still business as usual? How many days a week are the customers served at Yaphank? Thanks.
 #490662  by jonvit69

saw nya 268/270 wednesday with about 10 cars. they have been quiet lately. i guess being winter. remember the bar cars goint out to riverhead like a cannonball. wish the lirr would finish cleaning up the place. anyone know if they are going to expand?
 #539272  by jonvit69

have not seen ny&a in yaphank in awile. any thing happen?

#540349  by mainline

They went to Ya today. TLTX stone cars for apple ready mix.

#540722  by phantom

NY&A is handling more aggregate now. We have several new customers and are moving stone from the D&H as well as the usual P&W! This business has really expanded; cars for Deer Park, Holtsville, and Yaphank! Most days the hauler (E/B) has at least one cut of stone hoppers.

#540804  by nyandw

phantom wrote:NY&A is handling more aggregate now. We have several new customers and are moving stone from the D&H as well as the usual P&W! This business has really expanded; cars for Deer Park, Holtsville, and Yaphank! Most days the hauler (E/B) has at least one cut of stone hoppers.
Neat, new customers names, locations, loads to add to web page?
Thanks,
Steve
 #639271  by jonvit69

saw 270 and 155? at yaphank siding waiting to go back west today with 3 bombs 3boxcars and a flatcar. nice to see the action.been a awhile