Railroad Forums 

Discussion of the past and present operations of the Long Island Rail Road.

Moderator: Liquidcamphor

#1497506  by C-LINER 2001

20 big ones for a study, insane, they might want to clean up the area, build a good parking lot with better lighting, its a easy station to find, they should promote it and see how it fly's
 #1497512  by Riverduckexpress

Sounds like this is Governor Cuomo's proposal from two years ago to place a station at Brookhaven National Laboratory.

http://www.mta.info/news/2017/01/10/gov ... ove-system" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Governor Cuomo Proposes $120 Million to Enhance 16 LIRR Stations and Improve System Connectivity with MacArthur Airport and Brookhaven National Laboratory

Governor Andrew M. Cuomo has unveiled a proposal to invest $120 million to provide state-of-the-art enhancements to 16 LIRR stations and improve system connectivity with a new terminal at MacArthur Airport and a new stop at Brookhaven National Laboratory. These transformative infrastructure projects contribute to the resiliency and strength of Long Island, and provide vital support to bolster the continued growth of the region.

"These major, transformative investments in Long Island's core infrastructure invest in the future resiliency and strength of the region," Governor Cuomo said. "Enhanced LIRR stations will connect further than they ever have before, and these vital water infrastructure projects will support environmental sustainability and bolster economic growth. With these projects, we equip Long Island will the tools and resources to drive commercial activity, create jobs, and build a stronger Long Island for generations to come."

Last year, under Governor Cuomo’s leadership, New York State invested in a wide array of transformative infrastructure projects on Long Island. From the $50 million Hofstra University School of Engineering and Applied Sciences hub, to the $50 million Brookhaven National Laboratory, to the $25 million Cold Spring Harbor Laboratory Center for Therapeutics Research, these projects are smart investments to create jobs and stimulate economic growth in Nassau and Suffolk Counties.

To build on the success of those projects, Governor Cuomo proposes investing an additional $160 million in transformative projects on Long Island.

Enhancing Stations and Connecting the LIRR with MacArthur Airport and Brookhaven National Laboratory

Governor Cuomo proposes investing $120 million to enhance LIRR stations and improve system connectivity. The MTA will cover $35 million of this investment.

$80 million will be invested in $5 million major enhancements at 16 critical LIRR stations to improve the customer experience. The station upgrades will include new facilities, Wi-Fi, charging stations, public art, new platform waiting areas, general station renovations and improved signage. All of these enhancements will be customized to the needs of each station and constructed with minimal disruptions.

The 16 stations are broken up by county below.

Nassau County: Baldwin, Bellmore, Farmingdale, Great Neck, Merrick, Stewart Manor, Syosset and Valley Stream

Suffolk County: Brentwood, Deer Park, East Hampton, Northport, Ronkonkoma, Stony Brook, Port Jefferson and Wyandanch

A $20 million project will add a stop on the LIRR Ronkonkoma Branch at the center of Long Island’s innovation corridor at Brookhaven National Laboratory.

An additional $20 million will support the development of a new terminal at MacArthur Airport to provide direct service to the LIRR.
 #1497520  by MACTRAXX

Jeff Smith wrote:Great synopsis Mactraxx. One note: the 45m is from KO, not YH. And the parking situation and traffic at KO can be time consuming.

I lived off exit 62 for a couple years, not far from the old Holtsville flag stop. The drive on backroads to KO wasn’t bad; to avoid parking I’d get a ride from someone; if not I’d take my chances parking. I didn’t realize the Montauk line was that close, but then again should have as I used to hang out in Patchogue and Blue Point sometimes. But KO has a clear advantage with frequent electric service and so it’s a better connection.

Might move back when I retire.
Jeff: Thanks for the good word.

I did not have any idea that you once lived in the Town of Brookhaven and know first hand about
the parking hassles at Ronkonkoma Station. I live about 3 1/2 miles west of KO near MP 45 which
is adjacent to the Veterans Memorial Highway (NYS 454) overpass over the LIRR which is one mile
east of the Central Islip Station. I am considering leaving LI and may not be around when some of these future changes come to pass.

I agree with the mention about some sort of procurement for a limited fleet of DMU cars (about 12
to 16 cars) that could be used on the Ronkonkoma-Greenport Scoot (and the Oyster Bay Branch
during some off hours.) This could free up some needed DE30 units and C3 cars for use elsewhere.
Getting speeds up from 40 to 65 mph on some open stretches of the route could help timing.

The Main Line and Montauk Branch geographically are at their closest point to one another which
is about 2 1/2 miles apart - from just west of the current Yaphank Station down to about mile 60
on the Montauk Branch - about 1 1/2 miles W of Mastic-Shirley Station just west of the Carmans
River bridge. This roughly parallels the west boundary of South Haven (County) Park on Yaphank
Avenue (CR 21) and Gerrard Road south towards Sunrise Highway (NYS 27).

With the closing of Holtsville Station (at Waverly Avenue) twenty years ago (!!!) I suggested that
the station (mile 51.8) be moved about half a mile west to be built under the overpass of Nicolls
Road (CR 97) crossing over both Long Island Avenue north of the track and Furrows Road south.
A parking facility could be constructed on one of the two "half-cloverleaf" open land areas that
are at the Furrows/Nicolls Road interchange. This would only have been about a half mile south
of LIE exit 62. As far as I know relocating Holtsville Station was never looked into.

The LIRR is expanding the Ronkonkoma Yard (the Mid-Suffolk Yard plan) and do not seem to be
considering any additional electrification extensions further east.

http://web.mta.info/lirr/midsuffolkyard/index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

With the mention of new or added service to Brookhaven National Laboratory it will be interesting
to find out what this study along with the mentioned spending will bring to the Greenport Scoot
train service in the future. Let's see how this all plays out...MACTRAXX
Last edited by MACTRAXX on Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
 #1497528  by Jeff Smith

MACTRAXX I lived right off Waverly, close to the Post Office. Have had family there since the late 60’s, just as they were finishing up the LIE to that point. Holtsville flag stop IIRC was right behind a topless bar, which is now a lawyer’s office. Nichols would be a good spot for a station; definitely accessible from a wide variety of points, but would it be too close to KO?

I too think the new generation of compliant DMU’s hold promise for the North Fork. Electrification even just to Riverhead would be an expensive proposition. With lighter, more efficient equipment you could run more service to Yaphank and beyond justifying service with less dense passenger counts.
 #1497592  by berlintransit

Kelly&Kelly wrote:Twenty million dollars to study the feasibility of moving the single car station used by fifteen people twice a day.

That's $ 1,333,333 per passenger.
C-LINER 2001 wrote:20 big ones for a study, insane, [...]
Hey everyone,

in order to calm things down a bit, I recommend reading the following lines from the bottom of page 122 on this link: http://web.mta.info/mta/news/books/pdf/ ... 0_LIRR.pdf
To sum it up, the design study now started is worth about 4 Million $ and the 20 Million $ would rather be the overall project budget.
I have not read mentions allowing to expect the station to have two platforms and an interlocked siding in order to allow for more service either, so of course this is still a lot of money for a new station with practically no trains and customers...
L70204UO: EAST YAPHANK STATION
Milestone: Contract Award $4,040,289
Project Budget: $20,000,000
A Contract for Preliminary Design and Environmental Review was awarded to Gannet Fleming for $4,040,289.
The consultant will assist the LIRR in the selection of potential sites and the identification of a preferred location for a new East Yaphank Station east of the existing Yaphank Station. The project will be progressed in two phases. Phase 1 will provide for selection of a site and development of 30% design. Phase 2 will be the design-build effort which will include decommissioning of the existing Yaphank Station. This project is part of the railroad’s initiatives to meet current and future transit demands associated with the commercial and residential economic development in central Suffolk County.
 #1498632  by mainline

This could be a way to also incorporate an old LIRR Yard that is requiring remediation. The Yard hasn’t been active since? The railroad has been in discussion with the DEC over the cleanup. The site is on River Road next to Nicolia (New York & Atlantic customer) just under the one car overpass. The remedial action decided could be capping and there’s your new parking lot for the station. They could also pick just east of the station were this a large tract of land and no roadways. Another site could be on the east of Moriches Road that is being used as storage of trucks by ATC.Gannet Fleming is a firm that oversees Site surveys including Phase II remediation overnite.I have worked with them over the years working for
Suffolk County.

Bill
 #1498634  by mainline

But it’s also funny that they would throwaway all this money for a station that sees no traffic. There is maybe one car parked at the Yaphank station during the week.

Bill
 #1498688  by Union Tpke

I would use this money to rebuild the Republic station. Money for planning and construction was part of the 2015-2019 plan, but the construction was pushed to 2020-2024. That station would actually see traffic. I would also consider adding a stop at Nichols Road for a connection with BRT.
 #1498711  by upton

One of the reasons why I like the Yaphank Station.
Attachments:
IMGP2864 (1).JPG
IMGP2864 (1).JPG (1.53 MiB) Viewed 7351 times
 #1530069  by Pensyfan19

Almost a year after the most recent post on this thread, any information about this station's progress? Or at least any proposed sketches or images on what the new station will look like?
 #1530106  by Teutobergerwald

Any changes to the siding, the team track or the spur that serves the lumber yard????
 #1530128  by Pensyfan19

Teutobergerwald wrote: Sun Jan 05, 2020 12:34 am Any changes to the siding, the team track or the spur that serves the lumber yard????
Not that I know of at the moment.