Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the operations of MTA MetroNorth Railroad including west of Hudson operations and discussion of CtDOT sponsored rail operations such as Shore Line East and the Springfield to New Haven Hartford Line

Moderators: GirlOnTheTrain, nomis, FL9AC, Jeff Smith

#676524  by Jeff Smith

Just out of curiosity: did the post-game train(s) home turn into a spectacle of drunken debauchery and malodorous and noxious fumes, or was it fairly safe and innocuous for kids and families? In spite of my earlier and unnecessary sarcasm (guilty-as-charged) and insensitivity (oh please, I was responding with opinions and suggestions in response to observation, not critiquing parenting styles), I would like to know if the trains have devolved into the dreaded vomet comets or maintained some sense of decorum. Day vs. night games, of course, may be different, of course.

I would like to know as both a Yankee fan and father of two young girls who would not want to infringe on the game experience and enjoyment of others; I'd merely use alternate transportation if with family rather than advocate for everyone else having to conform to my lifestyle.
 #676559  by oddball

no, not really. i was hoping for some drunken lunatics but there was really nothing, just a couple tipsy people..most people were pretty well behaved......but i cant wait for the mets and redsox to come in!
 #676566  by DutchRailnut

At nearly $9.00 per beer there won't be to many drunks, and you can't bring beer into stadium so even if their drunk before game, its hard to keep them drunk.
 #676787  by Jeff Smith

Loosen up that sphincter, dude; you came on here asking for opinions, and then you get upset when we give them and don't agree with yours. Acting all offended isn't going to help because someone actually responded to your question. <BREATHE>

It's a ballgame, there are beers before and during games. Metro-North is not going to contribute to the drunkenness merely by allowing beers on board. They will already have boarded drunk and will only be maintaining their drunkenness; sobering up is not a pretty sight. I'd rather have them on the train than on the highway, and hopefully they'll walk, bus, or cab it home, but at least it will be a short distance. And it doesn't matter if it's a game train or not; the drunks are there. I think the train you are looking for boards in Tehran.

In a perfect world everyone would be perfectly respectful, and no one would act stupid. It hasn't been a perfect world since Adam and Eve took a bite of the "apple" and Cain killed Abel.
 #676795  by Harlem Line to Southeast

Sorry for the double post but after my initial confusion (which persists) about why the previous poster is mentioning Tehran, I have a few more responses:
Sarge wrote:Loosen up that sphincter, dude; you came on here asking for opinions, and then you get upset when we give them and don't agree with yours. Acting all offended isn't going to help because someone actually responded to your question. <BREATHE>
I most certainly am breathing. I only get offended when there are unnecessary and not-so-polite comments directed at me. Some examples? There are many, but I think the most recent one is being told to "<BREATHE>".
Sarge wrote: And it doesn't matter if it's a game train or not; the drunks are there.
Not sure what trains you normally travel on, but I can assure you that during peak hours and off-peak daytime hours, I have rarely come across an obnoxious drunk.
Sarge wrote:In a perfect world everyone would be perfectly respectful, and no one would act stupid. It hasn't been a perfect world since Adam and Eve took a bite of the "apple" and Cain killed Abel.
I agree that it's not a perfect world, by any stretch of the imagination. But this thread is about one particular problem that could be easily solved by an outright alcohol ban.
 #676809  by DutchRailnut

Besides how would a ban on alcohol be non-discriminatory, MNCR sells alcohol all week.
And its their only money maker.
Stop letting Authorities imply bans on this and that, were not living in USSA.
 #676842  by Steamboat Willie

MTAPD/NYPD are present at the station and were in full force when people were being gated while boarding their go home trains. Road sodas were not permitted beyond the gates. Plenty of people were told to either drink their beer or toss it.
 #677275  by Jeff Smith

Upon further review, I think that's a reasonable restriction, but I believe the possession of open containers was already verboten in the station and on the platforms as posted by ROS. My sole point is it's not going to make that much of a difference, and we're arguing semantics.
 #677366  by MACTRAXX

Everyone: Does MNCR have machines in the "Paid" area at the Yankee Stadium/153 Station?
If someone does NOT have a ticket to exit there will the fare be the full off-peak onboard fare plus $5 penalty? If so on days the City Ticket is in effect that would be an expensive mistake!
I know that riders MUST have a ticket to board there during gating and that from the pics I have seen MNCR has enough ticket clerks and machines there.
I am looking forward to visiting that station soon! MACTRAXX
 #677404  by mntktagt

Please advise passengers to buy either a one way or a roundtrip to Yankee Stadium when traveling to Yankee stadium. Weekly and Monthly tickets to 125th and GCT are honored to Yankee Stadium, but 10-Ride peak, 10-Ride off peak, and one-way peak and off peak tickets require a ride extension sold by the conductor on the train for $5.00 Off-Peak and $6.50 Peak. That way there will be so surprises. The one way off peak is only .75 more than 125th/GCT and one way peak is only $1.00 more.
 #677459  by Steamboat Willie

There are TVM's located next to the gates as well as there are 3 booths with customer service personnel selling tickets as well for those who wish not to use the TVM's.

City tickets were honored when the station was open the weekend of 5/23.