Railroad Forums 

• Yaesu VR-120D

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#166832  by butchs38

Does anyone have Yaesu VR-120D or any of the Yaesu recievers / scanners if so are they any good I am looking into getting a new scanner and dont want the transmitter like the Vertex VX-150. I will mostly be scanning rail frequencies but some others like police and fire.
 #450799  by n3ddy

de N3DDY - new to the group, but a 30 year ham and long time railfan. I have a vr-120 ( older version) wonderful little stealth scanner. Quite sensitive, runs on 2 AA batteries ( a LONG time, too) and has 640 channels. In the BIG cities it could use a little more selectivity ( TV stations and the like tend to drive it a wee bit nuts) but as a VHF unit for listening to RR stuffit is great. Needs a little more audio, though, but that is the price one pays for the convenience of size.

My older yaesu FT-50 ht is probably the most sensitive and selective portable radio I have owned. I have had this thing 10 years and it is still goin strong.