Railroad Forums 

• Wyandanch operations.

• Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
Discussion related to NYAR operations on Long Island. Official web site can be found here: www.anacostia.com/nyar/nyar.html. Also includes discussion related to NYNJ Rail, the carfloat operation successor to New York Cross Harbor that connects with NYAR.
 #1014585  by mirrodie

So following the Wyandancd derail thread, I have some new questions:

As I mentioned, on Saturday, I happened by the danch and saw two MP15acs and one GP 38 – two idling with a few boxcars.

1-Was one of these 3 engines derailed the day before or was that from a different train altogether?

2-HOw was it re-railed? I would have thought a crane and more stuff would have been there.

3-Also noticed down the line westward that 2 railroad ties and some policeline were on the tracks. I assume to mark off where's the derailment occurred. Later that evening, I drove by and the consist was gone but I saw that those marked off tracks were actually what looked like an area of railed runoff... Was that related to the derail?

4-Saturday, when I pulled up around 1600 and saw the 3 pair of engines and 3 pair of cars idling, there was no crew onboard. Was the train tied down there and later a crew dropped off there to pick it up? Or was it simply a crew that stopped off, hopped off, got lunch and got back on? This is more of an operations question. Thanks.
 #1015150  by RRJS3

The two 1500s, 151 and 159, were the power on the RS80 on Thursday night. Not sure if it was one or both of these units, but at least one of them derailed and apparently leaked some of its fuel. Shut down service on this part of the mainline for the rest of the night, though it was clear by the morning rush. The following night, the 80 crew brought the GP38 (261) out to the DEF light, assumingly to bring the engines back west. Also, the RS51 picked up the loaded cars from Coastal that would have went west with the RS80 the night before, but were obviously left because of the incident.

I'm not sure what happened with the crews, I'll leave that to those who know.

And yes, the police line was there because of the derailment.
 #1015229  by freightguy

The West switch of Wyandanch DEF will probably be out of service for some time. That is damaged also. This makes it a bit more difficult having to shove in from the East end. The DEF is now joining the likes of Pineaire's West switch OOS.
 #1015282  by Teutobergerwald

So, it comes down to the NYA not wanting the expense of fixing the damaged switches at Pine-Aire & now Wyandanch, and the LIRR not fixing them itself, even though it's their trackage, because those switches being disabled don't impact the LIRR's passenger operations. Seems that NYA management doesn't care how this stand makes the job of their crews more difficult out on the road, and impacts their customers...seems like a trend here, in several respects. They've lost customers and I don't know if they've added new ones, busted the switches at important locations for their operation, and not fixed them, etc., etc. Hmm...
 #1015343  by jtunnel

2-HOw was it re-railed? I would have thought a crane and more stuff would have been there.

From what I saw reported, looks like they used air bags and timber to get the trains back on track. Fuel release made it a bigger issue (and rightly so)then it really was.
 #1015365  by Ðauntless

If it wasn't a major derailment oak wedges and rerail frogs go a long way.
 #1015428  by jayrmli

They certainly do!

Cranes are only better for larger derailments, or where speed is necessary to rerail and reopen a mainline somewhere.

Jay
 #1015582  by freightguy

If it wasn't a major derailment oak wedges and rerail frogs go a long way.

When you bring enough of them to the derailment site initially. :0)
 #1036891  by RRJS3

Caught a glimpse of some MOW equipment on the Amerigas spur today, just south of Merritt Rd. Anyone know what's up with that? Haven't seen anything on there in a long time.
 #1037220  by tj48

There are quite a few large stacks of ties along the LIRR mainline between between Rte 110 and Commack Rd. in Deer Park. That could be the reason for the MOW equiptment.