Railroad Forums 

• Wrongfully fired it appears (CN).

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#241957  by deadhead74

I work over on the Markham extra board. Just got off the 338 comming from Hawthorne... nice 15 hour day since we died at 67th street. Anyways, I call the caller to close the ticket since I am a f'n train wreck after being up for about 30 hours.

Heres the part that scared the shit out of me... after I had the caller tie the ticket up I was informed I needed to turn in all of my gear since I am being fired. I thought, omg who did I kill? Appearently, CN thought I was still in my 60 day probation period, but after talking with my union rep (extremly helpful getting this sorted out) I was on day 63 or 64 and already in the union. Man what a terrible feeling. :( I've been with the company for about 90 days, missed one day since I promised my daughter I would finally go to one of her soccer games, never tore up equuipment, never late, I dont talk much so no idea if I pissed off someone somehow, yet basicly I was fired... but due to a screw up by CN appearently im still employed after I visit with the superitendant. Well at least I hope I am still employed. :( It kinda bothers me that I havnt been here long and they are iching to can my ass at any given moment.

What a f'n bad day. :(
Last edited by deadhead74 on Wed May 03, 2006 10:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

#242036  by UPRR engineer

......So what did you do that got you in trouble??

#242043  by Dieter

Ditto UPRR - What did you do? If you're in the Union, they should be screaming for you. CN needs people desperately in Ontario - may I ask which Province or State you're in? I don't get from the location you're giving where you are. There's a Hawthorne in New Jersey, another one in New York - there's lots of Hawthornes about.

They can't just fire you like that, if you're out of your probationary period.

Dieter/

#242051  by jg greenwood

Dieter wrote:Ditto UPRR - What did you do? If you're in the Union, they should be screaming for you. CN needs people desperately in Ontario - may I ask which Province or State you're in? I don't get from the location you're giving where you are. There's a Hawthorne in New Jersey, another one in New York - there's lots of Hawthornes about.

They can't just fire you like that, if you're out of your probationary period.

Dieter/
Markham and Hawthorne: Chicago area.

#242235  by deadhead74

What did I do? I'd like to now as well. As I said above, called off 1 day in 90 days total since ive been employed, never late, never tore up equipment, never talked much to managment, just went about my bussiness. Appearently someone doesnt like me. Marked up as a conducter march 3 so may 1st is my 60th day. I completed work on may first (the 15 hour day), I call the caller then bam... fired. The union rep says I should be fine since I did perform work on the 60th day... but lets hope things work out. All I want is my damn job, I dont care about loss time shit or anything like that. Let me work! :(

He says they might have messed up and called me a day too late to fire me. Lets hope he is right.

#242651  by deadhead74

Well some breaking news from mr union rep. It appears CN screwed up firstly by fireing me 1 day after my probation period, and they fired the wrong person... they (trainmaster) got me confused with another new conductor. After a few phone calls to this (trainmaster), he said that it wasnt me who he wrote up numerous times about safty glasses. The funny thing is, Ive only worked at this place once.

So now I know for sure I am infact past my probation, in the union, and was wrongfully fired where I was mistaken for another employee (who has been having problems since the get go with many things like, wearing safty glasses, quickly learning the job blah blah blah).

I went from feeling like the lowest person in the world to being more angry than I have ever felt in my life. I was thinking, ok wtf am I going to do now in life? Couldnt sleep at all lately, just thinking about reasons on how I got myself fired when it infact it wasnt me at all, the other guy should have been fired! I'm still unemployed, going down to the unemployment office tomorrw... god only nows how long it will take to be marked back up. Union rep said to sit back in relax because CN just screwed themselves bigtime by fireing you... not sure if thats a good or bad thing. I just want my job back first.

#242862  by Dieter

Deadhead - If CN screwed up like that, the Union should be screaming for you to be paid in full while you sit on your duff in front of cable until said time that CN sorts the mess out.

You could sue them, and you should mention that to the Union. If they don't like that idea, it will catalyze them to get on CN to get you back on the job.

Tell them at unemployment what CN did and see what they tell you. CN owes you BACKPAY in the end when this is straightened out, and tell the Union Rep they'd better damned well NOT hire out your slot or you will sue both CN and the Union.

Dieter/

#242980  by CN_Hogger

Good to hear Deadhead. Who was the trainmaster?

#243248  by deadhead74

CN_Hogger, it was a Glen Yard trainmaster... Ill leave it at that. About sueing, well at this point I want my job back, but Ill give them another week or so and see how things stand, if nothing has been accomplished the lawyer will be called. UR says its going infront of the appeal board on Monday the 8th. I cant see how this could be dragged on for months and months, but Ive heard of the horror stories.

#243332  by CN_Hogger

I know exactly who you're talking about. Good luck!!

#243402  by deadhead74

I got a call today from my union rep saying that I need to apply ASAP to this other railroad and they would I guess hire me out until I get my job back at CN. At first I thought nothing of it, but after thinking about it, it sounds kinda fishy. To me it was a hidden way of saying that either A, your not getting your job back even tho you did nothing wrong, or B, this is going to take years to get settled. Now what exactly do you all think I should do at this point? Do I get myself a lawyer? If I take this other job... CN might not pay me my backpay... they might say well he is already employed so we dont need him... or some other junk they might think of. I work for the CN, not for this other railroad they (the union rep) is trying to tell me to go to. Is he doing the right thing? Do they normally hire you out as a temp on another railroad while your 'problem' gets resolved?

Any help is appreciated. I told him that I would apply, however I have done nothing yet.

#244113  by Dieter

This is one of the strangest circumstances I've heard about in any job. It almost sounds like they're trying to get rid of you so someone can hire a friend.

If you hire out on another railroad, the Union might let the issue die saying "Oh, he's got a job so it's not a problem." Well, with a shortline, you won't get the same benefits you would if you were at CN. Keep the heat on them, and tell unemployment what they did, that can get things moving for you as well.
 #309528  by amtrakhogger

Did you get a hearing? If they bring you up on charges they must
give you a hearing (company trial)! If you were past your probation
then they are in the wrong because you are entitled to a hearing. If
they don't follow protocol such I described above then you should automatically win your law board. But really it should not have gone that
far.
Where I work, if they charge you with any kind of violation you are
entitled to a hearing within 10 days from the charge date. If the carrier
does not follow through within that time frame then the charges can
be dismissed or overturned at a law board (Because of the technicality).
You should compile all paperwork to show that you are past probation
(ie time cards, pay stubs etc) to also show that you satisfied the terms
of probation and therefore the company had no grounds to dismiss you.
Like some of the other posts, I am not sure if the Labor Boards in Canada
work the same as in the US.
I also don't understand why your Local Chairman could not resolve
the matter without going to a law board if that trainmaster said your
dismissal was a mistake. But there could be more to the story than what is
posted, so good luck and I hope you win your law board and get your job
back.

#310537  by CN_Hogger

CN really isn't that bad. Extra boards with regular days off and a pretty high pay rate. There's people that I work with that would have been fired many times over if they were on another Class I RR that are still working. (I.E.: tearing up A LOT of equipment!)