Railroad Forums 

• Would Amtrak consider someone who lives across the country?

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1394418  by COEN77

Relocating is always possible. Of course it would be on their timeline. Not sure of Amtrak's definition of advanced timelines for training. There have been people on this site that were offered jobs but the railroad gave them 10-14 days heads up notice and they balked stating it wasn't enough time to get prepared. They turned down the railroad after being selected which essentially blackballed them from ever getting employed.
 #1394663  by jkell1234

I am going to talk conductor and is strictly my opinion on the matter from my past experience. It Probably depends on type of job and demand for job to how many applicants they get. Both times when i interviewed for the conductor position they told me over 1200 candidates applied for the position, that was 2400 total for 4 jobs over both announcement periods. That is crazy high

Not saying its impossible but once again coming from someone who is already employed from the inside who knows and makes hiring decisions on conductors. Some positions like the conductors put in their postings that you must live within 2 hours of the crewbase. And the person I know also tells me that when they pull apps they usually get enough local candidates and internal candidates that it won't expand past that.

Talking about conductor positions, i found out that they have so many internal candidates applying that the odds of getting that job off the street is pretty slim if your local and almost impossible if your not.

I was told that internal candidates took the positions that I was going for.