Railroad Forums 

• Working for CSX and Applying at NS????

• General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.
General discussion about working in the railroad industry. Industry employers are welcome to post openings here.

Moderator: thebigc

#1395627  by tslo91

Hello everybody. I'm currently employed with CSX in Ohio, and I have been furloughed with them for about 13 months with no idea when I may be called back. I understand that freight is down across all of the class 1 railroads but I keep getting emails that NS is hiring for terminals in my area. Has anybody ever applied and been hired at another class 1 while still employed at different one? I have been debating about applying and if hired getting my name on the seniority roster with them and then decide from there which company to stay with. Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
 #1395754  by COEN77

What do you have to lose? Furloughed from CSX for 13 months, a job offer from NS. I'd go for it. If NS would want you to make a commitment giving up the CSX seniority that would be a decision to make at that time. The pluses I see are working, healthcare, credits in RRB etc.,. Longest I was ever furloughed and I started my railroading in the '70s in Walbridge, Ohio was 3 months. Only reason was I looked and excepted every transfer that I could find. After 4 transfers I found a place in Virginia 600 miles away then stayed till retirement. That's the advice I've been giving to those furloughed. I knew people who worked out of Akron, Cleveland etc... that were furloughed 7-10 years before they made the move thinking it wasn't going to be a long one.