Railroad Forums 

• Work on Valley Road crossing?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New Jersey

Moderator: David

#1350329  by ccutler

I rode by the Valley Road crossing and nothing is new whatsoever with the roadbed.

However, the industrial site between Valley Road and the LV main line is for sale. It used to be a an aggregates/concrete facility. I speculate that the realtor wanted the siding ripped up to offer a contiguous 12 acre industrial area.
 #1354486  by ccutler

Apparently the cement-plant property that the track crosses was sold in September, according to http://www.naidb.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. The realtor's site is vague on details. Hopefully the property will stay industrial, or even attract a rail client.
 #1356747  by Traindad

I've lived close to this crossing for almost 20 years, and until recently, there was perfectly good rail there set on heavily weathered ties.
Driving by last week I noticed everything had been pulled and I have no idea when. Taking it out is not all that easy or cheap so I
was kind of wondering why it was done and by who.
The crossing itself was paved over years ago. Maybe NS removed the last remnants so nobody would get any big ideas, this isn't the kind business they encourage.
 #1356749  by Traindad

Forgot to mention that the former cement plant will be used for asphalt production, so it is
definately remaining industrial.
 #1356824  by ccutler

Traindad thanks for the update. My uninformed theory was that the tracks bifurcated the industrial property and the new owner would not want the tracks in the way. but an asphalt plant could--possibly--want to ship tar in. However, given the short distance from the NJ refineries to Hillsborough, I am guessing inputs will be 100% trucked, and production 100% locally consumed.
 #1363633  by ccutler

A sign recently appeared at the industrial site "R.E. Pierson." They appear to be http://www.repierson.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;, a south jersey construction contractor. I infer that they are expanding to north Jersey and appear to have many highway construction projects. Perhaps they could be a rail customer, taking deliveries of concrete and asphalt? Or they could be like their predecessor in a similar construction business, receiving all supplies locally via truck. Or, they could receive rail shipments a mile down the road at the huge transload facility on Route 206, and just truck it in for the last mile.
 #1436551  by ccutler

the ROW has been filled in with dirt south of the crossing, and the rail and ties ripped up north of the crossing. That's it for this industrial siding.