Railroad Forums 

• Work activity on the Central Mass

• Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.
Discussion relating to the pre-1983 B&M and MEC railroads. For current operations, please see the Pan Am Railways Forum.

Moderator: MEC407

#1303974  by SpiderHill

Hello All,

On my way to work, I noticed a truck and crew from Hatch Mott McDonald (hatchmott.com) working in the area of one of the houses that abuts the CM in Berlin. They were definitely crossing the lawn of the house and were definitely on the ROW. This is on the section between Coburn Road and Barnes Road/CSX Fitchburg secondary (parallel to West St./Rt. 62). This section as of a couple years ago was still owned by the B&M and the Central Mass Rail Trail people were trying to acquire this section up towards the Wachusett Reservoir. Does anyone know anything about this? Are they surveying in preparation for a sale? Removing encroachers? Nothing related to the CM at all? It will be after dark when I go by later today. I will see if I can get a better look tomorrow.
 #1305182  by neman2

I'm willing to bet this is MWRA related, that company does a lot of tunnel and water supply type engineering work. That area is in the vicinity of the Wachusett Aqueduct, you would be surprised the amount of infrastructure involved with transporting clean water to its destination.
 #1305187  by Red Wing

the Cosgrove and Wachusett Aqueducts don't cross the Central Mass unless you count the original section used before Wachusett Reservoir was made.