Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the PRR, up to 1968. Visit the PRR Technical & Historical Society for more information.
 #600075  by BSOR Patarak

I am trying to find some information on early PRR wooden cabooses. Did they have any wooden type with side baggage doors? I know the Erie had some that ended up in branch line service before retirement.

The reason I ask, is that there is one that ended up on the Arcade and Attica RR in Western New York. It was purchased from the Susquehanna and New York (#15) in the mid 1940's. We recently moved the caboose to a display area and I noticed that it had "PRR" stamped on it's journal boxes. I also see that the S&NY had connections with the PRR at some points. I wondered if perhaps this was a PRR caboose that changed hands.

Here is a link to the display and the caboose.

http://www.railroad.net/forums/viewtopi ... a&start=15

I can provide more detailed pictures of the parts. Can anyone shed any light on early PRR cabooses, or where I could go for more help in tracking down if this was truly a PRR caboose at one point?

Thanks,
Pat Connors
A&A RR
 #738166  by BSOR Patarak

Here are a couple of photos of the caboose and the journal box cover showing the PRR markings.

Side View:

Journal Box:
 #742531  by Aa3rt

Pat, Great photos, thanks for sharing! I guess I should venture into this forum more often as I'd missed these photos until this morning. I have an old, undated black & white photo of this caboose that I won on eBay a couple of years ago. This is the same photo of the car that appears in Edward L. Kaseman's "Story of the Susquehanna and New York". Here's a link to the photo of the caboose in S&NY service that I posted at another forum:

http://forums.railfan.net/Images/fallen ... MAGE13.jpg

As you've already alluded to, the S&NY ran south from Towanda, PA (And a connection with the Lehigh Valley.) to Marsh Hill Junction where they gained trackage rights over the PRR for the remaining 20 miles in to Newberry Yard (West Williamsport) where the S&NY also connected with the NYC and Reading. The S&NY ended service in May of 1942.

Sorry I can't help you with the heritage of the caboose. I'll recheck my copy of the S&NY book but I don't think the late Mr. Kaseman indicates where this car came from. The S&NY did inherit a couple of old coaches from the predecessor Barclay Railroad but I have no idea on the heritage of this car (I know that's not the answer you're looking for.), will check Kaseman's book when I get home and let you know if I find anything.

BTW-the S&NY was owned by the Central Pennsylvania Lumber Company, the caboose may have originated on a Pennsylvania logging railroad.