Railroad Forums 

• WNYP 631 still doesnt exist..its a myth.

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#336291  by scottychaos

I have been wondering about this for years..and recently I have recieved a few emails confirming her true status, and I recently flat-out asked a LAL employee about it!
The big red Minnesota Commercial M630 in Cohocton has never been WNYP 631.

http://www.railfan.net/railpix/submit/s ... 631-01.jpg

We have all been labeling her WNYP 631 for years..she is on every roster with that number...but its never been true.
probably someone somewhere heard it *might* become WNYP 631, and probably that was being considered at one point..but she was never officially on the LAL roster..
We have all been giving her a false-identity for years! :wink: :(

I suppose its possible she could still become WNYP 631 someday, but she was recently re-lettered as SIXX 73, so its not happening anytime soon.

she is available for lease, and the LAL or WNYP might, or might not, use her.

Im going to update the NY alcos page to reflect this!
remove her WNYP 631 number, and take her off the LAL roster..because she doesnt belong there.
not yet anyway.

thanks,
Scot

#338709  by Luther Brefo

From how its been described to me by the railroad, there is no WNYP 631. It is SIXX 73. It is leased but stored and was recently fired up for testing, "see if it runs", but was not run. The locomotive could potentially become property of the railroad but it currently is simply stored/leased.

:)

#338954  by pablo

Whatever might be the case today, there is no doubt that I was told by a person in charge that this unit was unquestionably to become the 631.

There are probably a wide variety of angles to this story, and the reporting mark it now has shows you who really owns it, but for a small moment in time, as it sat outside the shop in Falconer for pictures, it was going to be paired with the 630, at least on the roster, and it was mentioned that the WNYP had the first and last 630's ever built.

And, for the record, I haven't been the source suggesting the 631 is a member of the LAL lines...

Dave Becker

#338965  by railwatcher

That post was from another website and was stated "as fact" and may have been the intentions at the time, but that information was passed at the same time the picture of MNRR 73 (now SIXX 73) sat in Falconer. Either way, now it is a Cohocton visitor, and currently not Railroad property. So, Scott, I suppose you list the ownership as 636 Leasing?

Greg

#339000  by pablo

Again, regardless of what may have been stated here or elsewhere, I was physically told it was the WNYP's by a source I know to be reliable. Who that was is irrelevant at this time.

Even when it went to Cohocton, I still thought it "could" come back as the 631; even though the Cartier units (which were also at one time to be the WNYP's power, though I never heard that officially-it was always suggested) went to Cohocton, and I knew that they got up to FRA specs there, I always could rationalize things by knowing that it is at least a preference to not have six-axle power over the LAL, if it's not stated outright (I don't have the timetable in front of me). Therefore, a WNYP unit wouldn't necessarily go to Lakeville for work if it was six axles.

There's also no doubt that it was NEVER the property of the WNYP, just as, I believe, the 630 is not the property of the WNYP even now; perhaps that's changed, and I just haven't heard it. I never did hear that the WNYP purchased it. Just that it was to be "ours."

Scot hasn't replied yet, but if it says SIXX for reporting marks, it's 636 leasing, which I know you know.

Dave Becker

#339031  by scottychaos

thanks everyone..

yes, recent photos (taken within the last few weeks, but not posted on-line) show "SIXX" on the long hood.
so as of right now, she is clearly labeled as SIXX 73.

Scot

#339146  by Luther Brefo

Dave (pablo) is not very far from the truth by the way. Just as an aside.

Whatever has changed has not changed much. SIXX 73 (better known as WNYP 631) is in Cohocton for a reason.

#339974  by PVRX1

630 is owned by one of the owners of the Morristown & Erie Railway.

431 and 432 were traded to the WNYP by the M&E for WNYP considerations.

#340051  by pablo

It's at Cohocton last I heard. I'm quite sure it's SIXX reporting marks as of now.

Dave Becker

#340062  by scottychaos

joshuahouse wrote:So is it in Cohocoton at the moment or up at LAL proper or out in Falconer? I can run up to Cohocton tommrow if we need confermation on the reporting marks.
still in Cohocton,
dont need conformation on the reporting marks, photos are already out there...its confirmed.. but you should still stop by cohocton anyway, just because you should never pass up the opportunity! ;)

Scot

#351077  by railwatcher

Thanks to Brooks and RSPerry for the info on SIXX 73. So.....is there an official word yet? Is it going to be used by the lines or not? Also, that was a sizable train for B&H, what was the car count, there was certainly plenty of power?

#351112  by sallenparks

Well being winter I've seen it up to 46to50 cars but that's not to say just because there are three loco's that that's how many there was.That and I didn't get to see the train I HATE WINTER.