Railroad Forums 

• WNY&P WANTS 6-8 six axle Alcos

• Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.
Discussion pertaining to the past and present operations of the LAL, the WNYP, and the B&H. Official site: LALRR.COM.

Moderator: Luther Brefo

#399388  by scottychaos

railwatcher wrote:Scot, do you have a list of the "live" six axle ALCos out there that are worth the investment?

Greg
Greg,
do you mean all the potential "live" six-axle alcos in the US, Canada and MExico?

no..I dont.
I only keep track of LAL and NY-state Alcos.

I havent seen any such list..
there are lists of preserved engines, but thats not relevant.

pop a question on the Alco forum and see if people can compile a list! :-D

Scot
 #399464  by Sandy Burton

I think the best answer to your question is oibu's post in this thread on 4/30/07. He summarized the six-axle situation very well.

Sandy

#400217  by oibu

Thanks Sandy.

I realized I may have missed one though, the ex CP 4504 (C630) at Engine System Development Centre in Lachine. I frankly hvae no idea what the condition or status of this engine is though, as it has been a test bed there for about 15 years now... so who knows what they pulled, replaced, changed, modified, etc. The unit exists, but no idea as to it's suitability for return to service as a railroad locomotive as opposed to it's current status as science lab.

This one's a long shot, but it's still maybe a possibility. Would be a nice sister for the 4500 though!

#400356  by 2spot

Does GE still have an ex-BC Rail C-630 #5000 updated to 'super 7' specs? If not, what became of it?

#401753  by oibu

I -believe- GE still has it. LAst I knew it was used as "drag" (i.e., applying a known resistance against the movement of the train) in testing units on GE's test track.

I don't think it has been mentioned, I think I forgot it too, but CN still has M636 2338 at Toronto. Hasn't been in service in about a decade (other than perhaps they've started it a few times just to check it out or move it around, or to supply power as a portable genset in emergencies or something), but it is still there and should be pretty much intact. Depending on it's condition at this point, a potentially GREAT find for any operator looking for such units. Assuming Cn would let it go, which if they'fe held onto it OOS for this long after all the other MLWs were gone, they may not want to let it go. Do't know the exact why, but obviously someone at CN likes it enough to keep it sitting around.