Railroad Forums 

• Wiscasset, Waterville & Farmington Railway (WW&F) Discussion

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#883557  by Steve Zuppa

Gokeefe,
We had already planned on using the caboose for extra capacity if needed and it was positioned for easy access. The open car just happened to be next in line so picking it up was easy. Advance preparation makes it easy to react "on the fly", as it were. As Mike and Kevin already mention, a grand time was had by all, volunteers and guests, alike.
Steve
Pres. WW&F
 #891512  by Reader#108

Hello Everyone.....is it possible to get some info about the steam in the snow excursion that is planned for Mar 4? I am interested in coming up to visit the area and chase the train....
 #892007  by Reader#108

I got the MVRS paper....I am a member...I should have been more clear....are there alot of areas that would make a chase worth it? I want to chase and take photos and stay somewhere Sat PM and drive home on Sunday....any suggestions? Is there a good map that may be available to find photo spots? I have never been before and am extremely interested in coming up....
 #892025  by Watchman318

Reader#108 wrote:....are there alot of areas that would make a chase worth it? I want to chase and take photos and stay somewhere Sat PM and drive home on Sunday....any suggestions? Is there a good map that may be available to find photo spots? I have never been before and am extremely interested in coming up....
Although the line runs more or less parallel to Maine Rt. 218 (at least from where it starts at Cross Rd., Alna), I don't think there is much opportunity to "chase" it in the way other railroads can be chased.
I believe it's a couple of hundred feet at the closest point between the r-o-w and Rt. 218, and the few roads that cross the track are private. Maybe with the leaves down, the photo opps might not be as bad as I'm thinking, but even if you got permission to trek out one of those private roads, they might be less accessible in March. (It's Maine. Could be wintah. Could be Mud Season. Ayuh.)
Scope it out with Google Earth or whatever you prefer, starting at 44.060296° N, -69.623651° W.
 #892033  by ThinkNarrow

Watchman318 wrote:Although the line runs more or less parallel to Maine Rt. 218 (at least from where it starts at Cross Rd., Alna), I don't think there is much opportunity to "chase" it in the way other railroads can be chased.
As a volunteer there, I would agree with this assessment. I know that from the train you see Rt. 218 only once, and then only for a fraction of a second. Maine has lots and lots and lots of trees.
 #892345  by Reader#108

AHHH,Yup! I may still make the trek....at the very least won't be too far from Pemmaquid Point, eh? lol....anyhow...I will check out GoogleEarth and do some further research and hopefully.....see you in March!