Railroad Forums 

• Winter-Spring 2023 Train Show Calendar for Upstate NY

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1615906  by lvrr325

Binghamton had flyers out at Utica. I sent in the money for a table.

Generally this post is to focus on New York State train shows other than the New York City metro area (because you'd lose your mind trying to keep up with all the shows down there).

The Springfield MA show is included because it's one of the largest shows in the northeast, and I see many people there that I see at all the usual shows in New York.

Clark, NJ is NYC metro area, outside the scope of this list.

St. Albans, Carbondale, Scranton could be listed as a courtesy, as they're non-NY shows but close for people in NY near those locations. The latter two are about as far for me as Buffalo or Albany. St. Albans is five hours drive from me in "central" NY - about equal to driving to Cleveland Ohio.
 #1615912  by MACTRAXX

LVRR: I just added the "Clark Show" information to the NJ Railfan Forum as it properly should be...
For the record this is the largest single-day yearly train show in New Jersey...

For that matter I pointed out what makes this show stand out among other more local and run-of-the-mill
shows that happen to be outside of the Upstate Region of NY State - I agree that other shows in the Downstate
NY-NJ region would not warrant being included unless there were specific reasons why they are different...

As a comparison a Pennsylvania train show that has a Northeastern regional interest is the Harrisburg Chapter
NRHS Train Show on Saturday March 11, 2023 at Scottish Rite Harrisburg, 2701 N. 3rd Street, HBG, PA 17110
https://harrisburgnrhs.org/trainshow
This show IS far enough from New York State as to NOT be originally included in this listing...

"Regional Interest" means that a specific show will attract patronage and vendors from a longer distance for
various reasons - the HBG Show is another that has been known for a good railroadiana selection as example...
The single BEST example is the ARHS Show at the ESE Grounds in West Springfield, MA - no dispute there...

In closing there are some shows that we all know will attract those interested from a larger regional area -
The outside shows included should be in jurisdictions that are within a reasonable distance of NY State...
They should only be mentioned if they do - or have potential - of attracting interest from Upstate New York...
MACTRAXX
 #1616308  by lvrr325

I just literally had one of the flyers in my hand. It's the same place, the American Legion Post 1645, on Robinson St, and starts about 9:30, runs to 3:00. Like $5 to get in. Jeff Olin booked out through the end of the decade to continue holding these shows.
 #1616360  by MACTRAXX

LVRR: I found this NYCSHS Historical Society Modelers "Mini-Convention" listing that may be of interest
to New York Central fans taking place in Albany, NY on April 29, 2023:
https://nycshs.org/2023/01/22/2023-nycshs-albany-mini/
Location: Holiday Inn Express; 16 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12205

In my 2/13 post I mentioned the Harrisburg, PA NRHS Chapter Train Show on Saturday March 11 and that
this show has interest from a large regional area - another prime reason is that this show attracts a PRR
fan base being historically the dominant railroad in the southern part of Pennsylvania...

Is there a train show in Upstate NY that attracts a noteable percentage of New York Central fans similar?
(not counting any meet or multi-day convention sponsored directly by NYCSHS)
I will thank you in advance for any feedback...MACTRAXX
 #1616711  by MACTRAXX

MACTRAXX wrote: Fri Feb 10, 2023 1:56 pm
Jersey Central RHS/NRHS Train Show - Sunday March 5, 2023 - 9 AM to 3:30 PM
Mother Seton HS - 1 Valley Road, Clark, NJ - Garden State Parkway Exit 135 Clark Circle
Free Parking - Breakfast and Lunch Available - Admission: Adults $5; Under 12 Free
Information: JCRHS, PO Box 700, Clark, NJ 07066 ; Phone: 908-272-3910
Model Trains of all gauges, Railroad Books, Pictures, Slides, Videos, Antiques and Collectibles are available.
From Hudson Valley/Upstate NY: NYS Thruway Exit 14A (TWY mile 23.53) to GSP Connector 39.8 miles South...

The "Clark Show" is the largest single-day yearly train show in New Jersey.
Everyone - Updated information as of 2/17 has been posted about the JCRHS Clark, NJ Train Show:
https://jcrhs.org/rrshow.html
Adult Admission will remain at $5 instead of being increased to $7...MACTRAXX
 #1617130  by lvrr325

A new date that actually has relevance in New York -

Saturday May 13 - Dunkirk NY - Upstate NY Chapter TCA Toy Train Show, Dunkirk Fairgrounds. Also includes craft show and flea market.

I have a few more fall dates on hand; Arcade & Attica RR Train Show, Arcade Fire Hall, 9/9; TTCS Falling Leaves (Depew) 10/8, Trainorama (Lancaster) 10/29
 #1617677  by smph50

Hello all you Train Show fans,
I just wanted to thank all of you who attended the 32nd Annual WNYRHS Winter Train Show held on February 18th & 19th. We had over 450 tables in two buildings that over 4000 adults paid to attend and spend some money. This was a very successful show that saw an increase of 70 new dealer tables. We're looking forward to our November 2023 show that will hopefully not get snowed out like last year. Below is a link to a review of the show.
Sincerely, Scott

http://www.trainweb.org/wnyrhs/showwinter2023.htm
 #1617992  by lvrr325

Found out the Durhamville Historical Society had a little show today somewhere in the Durhamville highway garage, German Rd off Rt. 49. no real idea how or where they promoted it or what went on, saw the flyer after the fact. I was in Binghamton anyways doing that show.

There's a show in Greene coming up too but I have no details.

Binghamton was okay, looked like normal attendance, my sales were down a bit but not a big deal.
 #1617997  by jurtz

That was actually the Verona Historical Society ( though Durhamville is within the town of Verona). Pretty much all they had were a few O and G scale tabletop layouts. Think it was mostly geared towards kids. There were no vendors there. It was held in their building, so not a lot of room. Quite a few people there when I went, though.
 #1618532  by Old & Weary

The Spring Batavia Train Show is this Sunday, March 26th, at the Robert C Call Event Center on the campus of Genesee Community College in Batavia from 9:30 to 3:30. Over 250 tables and dozens of vendors. Admission is still only $6.00, ages 13-18 $3.00, 12 and under free. Plenty of free parking and a snack bar through the lunch hour. details and map at www.gsme.org.
 #1621139  by DandHguy1147

MACTRAXX wrote: Sat Feb 18, 2023 4:24 pm LVRR: I found this NYCSHS Historical Society Modelers "Mini-Convention" listing that may be of interest
to New York Central fans taking place in Albany, NY on April 29, 2023:
https://nycshs.org/2023/01/22/2023-nycshs-albany-mini/
Location: Holiday Inn Express; 16 Wolf Road, Albany, NY 12205
I stopped by for this one, needless to say it wasn't much of a train show. Just presentations by the looks of it. :(