Railroad Forums 

• Winslow (Maine) Derailment 01-15-2014

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1243279  by MEC407

"mainemodelrailroader" from GuilfordRailSightings is reporting that there was a derailment in Winslow today. I haven't seen anything in the local media. Can anyone confirm and/or provide additional details?
 #1243283  by mec 381

Yes there was a derailment in Winlsow. My mother said that there was a locomotive on each end and about five cars and it was in front of Dunkin Donuts on Bay Street.
 #1243311  by 690

Huh, an engine on both end, I haven't seen that before on that particular job. Any word on how serious the derailment is?
 #1243322  by mec 381

To my knowledge they have never run that job with locomotives on both ends and I live in Winslow and see them run to Augusta all the time, 1-3 times a week. That locomotive on the rear of the train was there to help rerail the train. Typically there is just one locomotive and about 3-10 cars per train.
 #1243374  by MEC407

From the Morning Sentinel:
Morning Sentinel wrote:WINSLOW — A Pan Am Railways train got stuck in the mud Tuesday night and remained idling Wednesday as railroad crews worked on tracks off Bay Street.

The train’s engine, parked near the intersection of Bay Street and Clinton Avenue, was hauling several cars, including one that was listing to the west, wheels sunk and the tracks beneath it sunk in the mud.
. . .
Deane Nason, a broker and part-owner of Century 21 Nason Realty, was watching the goings-on from his desk, which overlooks the tracks on Bay Street.

He said that two weeks ago, a similar incident occurred and railroad employees worked all night and half the following day to fix the problem.
Read the rest of the article at: http://www.onlinesentinel.com/news/Trai ... acks_.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;