Railroad Forums 

• Winchester residents vs. PAR & Tighe Trucking

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1211927  by jaymac

...perhaps the legalese equivalent of Exeter to the Dauphin in Henry V and for the same reason: confidence in the cause...
 #1289160  by B&M 1227

Having talked to a conductor on the job, there's been issues with locals chocking wheels, lining ballast on the railhead, and moving the switch points halfway. My sister lives 2 blocks away and doesn't notice the noise.
 #1289949  by johnden223

Out of curiosity, has anyone discussed the role that Winchester's zoning map has in this debacle?

If the town zones light residential close to light industrial, hasn't the town failed its residents? Why not build a small buffer zone? If residential land is so rare in Winchester to make a buffer impractical, perhaps they should consider re-zoning existing residential areas to a higher density. This is a common issue in suburban areas. Why isn't the zoning board taking some heat here?
 #1290465  by johnden223

No blame necessary. How about some context/analysis of how homes were built so close to a freight yard(active only a few decades ago). When was this zoning decision made, and why? I've seen lots of posts about former activity in Montvale yard. Perhaps the homes were always there, but the "type" of people living there changed and are no longer tolerant to industrial activity?

I'd like to see less attacks on the railroad and more analysis of the planning/demographic/cultural/etc changes that inspired such strong language against railroad noise.