Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington/Newark Summer 2020

• Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.
Discussion relating to Southeastern Pennsylvania Transportation Authority (Philadelphia Metro Area). Official web site can be found here: www.septa.com. Also including discussion related to the PATCO Speedline rapid transit operated by Delaware River Port Authority. Official web site can be found here: http://www.ridepatco.org/.

Moderator: AlexC

#1533512  by eb684

First of all, I don’t think I’ve ever seen SEPTA be so proactive with providing future information to riders. But there’s a lot of work coming to the Wilmington/Newark line. From March-June, work on the Marcus Hook interlocking, followed by track work between Marcus Hook and Claymont in June, removing a track from service. The Southwest Connection project returns July 11 - August 2. And the big one, no train service to Claymont, Churchmans Crossing, or Newark from August 6 - 27, shuttle bussing only confirmed so far until August 20.

https://septa.org/media/WilmingtonNewar ... Update.pdf
 #1533605  by khecht

Any idea why the DE 3rd rail project is taking out Claymont service for that period? I thought the project was just between WIlmington and Newark, though there is a two-track section of the NEC just north of WIlmington station. Or this this just because of reduced capacity further south and some overlap with Marcus Hook work?
 #1534415  by NorthPennLimited

So basically, no train service to Delaware for the month of August?

That should throw off the Bell Curve for Regional Rail ridership numbers in 2020.

The CSX mainline is only a mile from the NEC in Newark. I wonder if anyone at DelDOT or SEPTA reached out to CSX about supplementing train service to Newark on the CSX mainline like Railworks.

Would AMTRAK cross-honor monthly pass holders at SEPTA and increase service at Newark and Claymont during August?
 #1534424  by CNJGeep

NorthPennLimited wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 pm So basically, no train service to Delaware for the month of August?

That should throw off the Bell Curve for Regional Rail ridership numbers in 2020.

The CSX mainline is only a mile from the NEC in Newark. I wonder if anyone at DelDOT or SEPTA reached out to CSX about supplementing train service to Newark on the CSX mainline like Railworks.

Would AMTRAK cross-honor monthly pass holders at SEPTA and increase service at Newark and Claymont during August?
It will be beyond a cold day in hell when CSX lets passenger trains over the Philly sub. Railworks was a great idea and a real hoot but it's something that will never happen in this day and age.

Amtrak is not going to be doing any cross honoring for Wilmington or Newark and will not begin stopping at Claymont. Those trains are packed as it is with high fare reserved passengers and monthly pass holders.
 #1534843  by TuckertonRR

NorthPennLimited wrote: Wed Feb 19, 2020 8:51 pm So basically, no train service to Delaware for the month of August?

How would CSX "supplement" service exactly? Would Septa pay CSX to run passenger service to Lower Level 30th St via a long reverse movement at Arsenal/Phil (which would take 20 - 30 mins)? Or somehow run electric MU's on a non - electrified railway with crews who are not qualified to operate the equipment? Or some other buff's fantasy?