Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington Cold Storage

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#648009  by csrrfan86

Do they still get reefers? I know its a rare event but I havent seen a car there for months.
 #662343  by SteveO

I believe I saw a car or cars at WCS today, but there was a truck blocking my view as I went by so I couldn't see exactly what was there. The crossings at both Woburn and Industrial had fresh flange grooves cut in.
 #663126  by Stephen

Wow, they must have brought their shovels with them. Last time I went across Woburn Street (the first grade crossing on the spur), there were several inches of dirt and sand over the rail head.
- Stephen
 #663466  by steelhorsejockey

the two BNSF cars were originally sent to Highlander Foods in portsmouth but were to high for thr doors there. diverted to wilmington.
 #672599  by CAMB.MASON

just came back from a delivery next door. Nothing has gone over that spur in a while, rails are rusty and weeds are coming up fast.
 #672823  by newpylong

CAMB.MASON wrote:just came back from a delivery next door. Nothing has gone over that spur in a while, rails are rusty and weeds are coming up fast.
Better check again - two cars were there this past week. Not enough traffic to shine the rails or kill any weeds though - so its probably not noticable.

Those cars will fit inside. I'm not sure if the ones a while ago they tried to deliver were the jumb car and a halfs or not. The cold storage place on the Conn River used to get those cars and they were HUGE.
 #672873  by consist

I think you guys are talking about two different spots in the above posts. WCS does not have overhead doors, Highliner does. I'm puzzled as to why the ARMN Chilled Express cars would not fit into Highliner, they used to get plenty of them; and before that, they would get the Solid Colds which were rebuilt to become Chilled Express cars with, I believe, no change in height.
I believe the only customer in New England to receive oversize reefers in recent history is Agar in Taunton. Anyone know differently? A Mansfield customer got 5xxx series Cryo-Trans cars for a time, don't know if that's still the case.
 #673193  by csrrfan86

The cars diverted to WCS were BNSF highcubes not ARMN. I believe Tighe in Mansfield got Cyro-trans reefers because I have seen ex-Rio Grande reefers back there.