Railroad Forums 

• Wilmington Cold Storage

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#673227  by newpylong

There is that cold storage place off the Conn River that got oversize reefers less than 4 years ago. I forgot the name, but I believe the cars were mostly of fruit.
 #706753  by theman8318

So is the delivery over with?

I was down there yesterday checking out the branch. How far does the branch go down behind those buildings? Obviously those companies are abandoned too correct? Also after WCS .. how far does that track go next to that side building?

Does anyone have video or pictures of GRS pulling cars onto this branch?

Thanks,
Dave
 #707506  by consist

I do not know when the building next to WCS last got rail service, but I never saw a car there after first noticing the setup in 2001.
There was another customer on this branch for a time. Note that shortly after the branch diverges from the mainline and crosses the first road (Presidential Way I believe), it branches again. The left-hand spur goes to WCS and that adjacent building. The other spur continues straight for another hundred or two hundred yards and ends behind Crystal Transport. I don't know if Crystal was the customer or if another company rented space in their building, but they used to get regular service until mid to late 2002. Typically 3-4 cars at a time, and usually Golden West hicubes with VCY marks as well as green BN and red BNSF boxcars.
 #707769  by Hux

consist wrote:I do not know when the building next to WCS last got rail service, but I never saw a car there after first noticing the setup in 2001.
There was another customer on this branch for a time. Note that shortly after the branch diverges from the mainline and crosses the first road (Presidential Way I believe), it branches again. The left-hand spur goes to WCS and that adjacent building. The other spur continues straight for another hundred or two hundred yards and ends behind Crystal Transport. I don't know if Crystal was the customer or if another company rented space in their building, but they used to get regular service until mid to late 2002. Typically 3-4 cars at a time, and usually Golden West hicubes with VCY marks as well as green BN and red BNSF boxcars.
Back in the summer of '81 I worked at Crusader Paperboard, which was at the end of the right spur, and regularly received box cars of paper rolls. Unfortunately they have moved to a larger facility in N. Andover, nowhere near rail service.
 #804296  by theman8318

I saw a box car or two at WCS. I could not tell, because it was very dark out.

Go check it out!

Dave
 #1057882  by theman8318

I am going to assume WCS is no longer a customer. I haven't seen a car there in a year. Sad times..
 #1358322  by theman8318

Each crossing signal was going off at industrial way today and I thought there was hope for trains. Unfortunately, I think there was a malfunction occurring. Although, there was a mbta truck there. Are they fixing this line for trains?

Thanks,
Dave
 #1358399  by theman8318

Dang. Thought there was hope. WCS is no longer a customer right?

I wasn't picturing those signals even working to this day....
 #1358461  by b&m 1566

I'm surprised the power was still turned on.
 #1358468  by newpylong

They keep the protection working and the line clear in case the customer wants a car - at least they used to, so I would ASSume it's still the same even though it's been a few years.
 #1358498  by Hux

newpylong wrote:They keep the protection working and the line clear in case the customer wants a car - at least they used to, so I would ASSume it's still the same even though it's been a few years.
Dunno if I would call it clear as there is a fair amount of silt and brush in the way, particularly in the area near the Industrial Avecrossing.
 #1443967  by l008com

This summer, every time I come around the corner, I gasp for a second! Someone has parked a tractor trailer on the tracks right at the Woburn St crossing. For an instant, it always looks like a train at the crossing.

So many large warehouses accessible from this spur, it's surprisingly they can't drum up some business on any of them!?

Also I took a neat photo of the Industrial Way crossing tonight, looking as abandoned as ever.
http://photos.nerail.org/showpic/?photo ... 531829.jpg

BTW I know I'm reviving an ancient thread but... what can you do?