Railroad Forums 

• Williams Reproduction E-60

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1376454  by ex Budd man

I just purchased a very nice E-60 at the Greenberg show in Edison NJ. The seller described it as a Williams product but said it was a custom paint job, Tuscan red with keystones on the nose and Pennsylvania on each side. Inside the shell it says WILLIAMS REPRODUCTION. However the chassis is pure Lionel; Flexicoil trucks, only one powered and brush painted. Does anyone know anything about this unit, or others like it? It doesn't appear to be a home made conversion, if so whoever did it did a nice job. I'm tempted to add sound and a solid state reverser but I don't know if that would affect its value, if any.
 #1376511  by Backshophoss

Believe Williams is now part of the Bachmann "family",as their O scale/tinplate line.
Lionel may have been a sub-contractor for this model.
 #1388142  by RailRide

The earliest Williams locomotives/powered units used surplus Lionel power trucks and motors to complete them.

Williams E60's in particular used Lionel Geep trucks at first until the company developed a six wheel diesel power truck of their own for a different locomotive (likely a Trainmaster or E-series diesel--my Williams history book is currently MIA). There is the possibility that some of them were sold as kits, with the acquisition of power trucks left up to the buyer, but I wouldn't swear to it.

---PCJ