Railroad Forums 

• Will be in the Area

• Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.
Discussion pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia and Washington, D.C.

Moderator: therock

#396658  by Engineer James

I am coming to the DC Area for a field trip. I hope to post what I saw when I get back on Monday. Last Year I caught am AMTK SW switching the trains at Union Station. Also, I saw the VRE Sounder. Hopefully I see her again, I loved the colors.

#398526  by Engineer James

Ok, this is a post of what I saw on my trip to DC.

THURSDAY

-Fog plagued the signals all the way to the CSX Toldeo near Detroit Metro, indicating a Red-Red.

-Inside Ohio, in the yard, 3 AC4400CW's #68, #745, and I did not see the other number.

-Off the salt mine near the Ohio Turnpike 2 WLE Geeps and a Rent-a-Wreck.

-Also, a pair of NS SD's raced us to an overpass, never got close to see numbers.

-In DC, they are replacing the old Pennsy Light Position for newer signals.

-Also, a GEVO and an 8700 Series were on a hotshot.

SUNDAY

-Salt Mine yielded an EMD Demo and a WLE Geep.

-Ohio Yard: NS #4117 on a local run, a CSX Geep, AC4400CW #781 and GEVO #4705, and finally at the north end of the yard was AC4400CW #119 and another unit that looked to be a GEVO.

#398562  by Sand Box John

"Engineer James"

-In DC, they are replacing the old Pennsy Light Position for newer signals.

The changing out of the amber Pennsy Position Light signals began many years ago.

#398618  by Engineer James

I just noticed the ones that they were replacing near the old switch tower where CSX and Amtrak join together. I saw the new signal bridge with its spotlights too, and they were still turned away so I know for sure that they were not yet working. It looks like not just there but all the way down the line..... when will they be in operation??

I also thought the cabs of the AEM's, and the HHP's all had the Light position cab signals? Will they have to replace all of those?

#399071  by njtmnrrbuff

I didn't even know that Pennsy signals were changing. I know for a fact that a third track is going to be built on CSX rails through DC ending at the Potomac River crossing.

#399202  by Sand Box John

"njt/mnrrbuff"
I didn't even know that Pennsy signals were changing.

CSX has been changing signals on their property wholesale as well as on former Conrail property for some time now.

I know for a fact that a third track is going to be built on CSX rails through DC ending at the Potomac River crossing.

That sounds more like one of the original track from New Jersey Avenue SE to 13th Street SW will be put back.