Railroad Forums 

• Wi-Fi and other satellite services

• Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.
Discussion related to railroad radio frequencies, railroad communication practices, equipment, and more.

Moderator: Aa3rt

#205115  by Richard Y

There seems to be quite a movement, afoot, to equip North American passenger trains with satellite services, over the next 5-10 years.
"Wi-Fi" (onboard wirless internet services) apparently will be a common onboard service. For starters, there was an annoucement, by Amtrak, that 6 of its Northeast Corridor stations would have soon have Wi-Fi access. This announcement was made last spring..has it come to pass?

http://www.metro-magazine.com/t_featpic ... d=90508372

I know that european trains are well ahead of us with regard to onboard satellite services. "Spotnik Mobile" internet services may now be in place on the VIA trains from Montreal to Quebec City. Anyone know if this service has begun?

http://www.viarail.ca/wirelessinternet/en_index.html

Besides internet access, real-time proximity of train positions will no-doubt further that sort of communication and possibly lead to fewer train-train and other types of train collisions. Also, I would think satellite TV and radio services would be coming.

One of the articles mentions possible W-Fi on the Capital Corridor trains. It has been a number of years since I have taken the Capital Corridors..has this come about yet?

The trend seems to be having satellite and internet services aboard commute trains, such as those in the Norttheast Corridor, VIA commute lines, etc. I would think these servicies would be especially appropriate for long-distance trains. I keep thinking of the "thumb-dial" music and announcement gizmo in Amtrak's sleepers. Half the time, it seems the things don't work. Having internet, radio, and even TV services within the sleeping compartments, lounge cars, and even coach cars would sure make for an appreciated service for Amtrak passengers, I would have to think.