Railroad Forums 

• Why signals? Why not GPS + radio network?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#236641  by RussNelson

I still believe that I could design a reliable system at a reasonable price. GPS signal outages woulld be at predictable locations. It wouldn't be a replacement for a ground-based signalling system which was aware of things like turnout alignments, spotted cars, etc. Being a completely independent system from the signals, it would provide an increase in safety well in excess of its cost. And then there's dark territory, where you have only train orders to protect you from a head-on.

#236711  by clearblock

RussNelson wrote:I still believe that I could design a reliable system at a reasonable price. GPS signal outages woulld be at predictable locations. It wouldn't be a replacement for a ground-based signalling system which was aware of things like turnout alignments, spotted cars, etc. Being a completely independent system from the signals, it would provide an increase in safety well in excess of its cost. And then there's dark territory, where you have only train orders to protect you from a head-on.
Have you looked at what is already in development and testing for ATCS/PTC systems:

http://www.navcen.uscg.gov/dgps/dgeninf ... dgps4a.pdf