Railroad Forums 

Discussion relating to the past and present operations of the NYC Subway, PATH, and Staten Island Railway (SIRT).

Moderator: GirlOnTheTrain

#859785  by railfan365

Does anyone have any idea why the R-44's on SIR are continuing in service while the ones on the 8th Avenue have all been retired due to structural defects? After all, they were all purchased together.
 #859852  by Fan Railer

The operating conditions on the mainline are much more rough than the ones on the SIR line. In addition, the cars on the mainline have racked more mileage than the cars on the SIR. But it's not much of a difference once you consider that the SIR cars only have a maximum of 5 years left anyway....
 #859998  by Kamen Rider

The SIR cars had no replacements on order, the mainline 44s were scraped in time to be replaced by the 160s, which is why the remaining 32s and 42s got a reperive.
 #869588  by andre

the SIRT R44 cars have all recently been remodeled on the interior, new seating, fixed damaged interior fittings, cabs have been cleaned up cosmetically, silverpaint on the outside of the cabs, heavy cleaning of the floors and walls, some cars even received new linoleum flooring (black, instead of the usual brown/tan) also all of the original M logos have been replaced with the modern MTA Staten Island Railway logos
 #871019  by R36 Combine Coach

The recent overhaul on the SI R44s is expected to extend their lives by several more years, until replacement cars are available.
 #871044  by Kamen Rider

Plan A is to ship the R46s to SI, replaced in the subway by the R211s in or around 2015. The R179 will mostly be to just phase out the 300 or so R32s and R42s left.
 #871058  by R36 Combine Coach

Once the R46s are in SI, would they be converted to single units (as the R44s are) or remain as is?
 #871062  by andre

Kamen Rider wrote:Plan A is to ship the R46s to SI, replaced in the subway by the R211s in or around 2015. The R179 will mostly be to just phase out the 300 or so R32s and R42s left.
would anything special modifications be needed to the R46s so that they can run on the SIR to comply with FRA requirements, (the R44's here are modified with a heavier frame, different trucks, FRA safety glass etc...)
 #871064  by R36 Combine Coach

Externally, the most notable feature on the SI R44s are the FRA standard grab irons.
 #874435  by Head-end View

R-36: I believe both the R-44's and 46's were built as cab-cars and cab-less cars. If that makes them "single" units, that's fine. But, I think both were the same set-up.
 #874558  by railfan365

Head-end View wrote:R-36: I believe both the R-44's and 46's were built as cab-cars and cab-less cars. If that makes them "single" units, that's fine. But, I think both were the same set-up.
Some cars having cabs and others not does not make them single units - it makes them A units and B units. A single unit is a car that is not permanently attached to any others.
 #874565  by Kamen Rider

The 46s would be converted as nessisary, however, I have not heard anything about them reverting to signle units.

to settle the discussion. the R44s and R46s were built as single units and converted into permintate units during thier rebuilds. The B cars have always been B cars, and required an A car to operate.
 #874576  by R36 Combine Coach

Kamen Rider wrote:To settle the discussion. the R44s and R46s were built as single units and converted into permintate units during thier rebuilds. The B cars have always been B cars, and required an A car to operate.
I think you may be confused with the R62/R62A/R68/R68As, which were originally all single units and converted into linked unit sets during SMS.

The SI R44s are single units as they can operate independently (A units), unlike the linked A-B-B-A R44/46s.
 #874902  by Kamen Rider

No, I'm not confused, I'm correct. they were all delivered as singles and the subway's cars were connected, during rebuild, not SMS, that came later. NYCsubway.org has a chart with the orignal 3 digit numbers for both models.

MUE-2s are a diffrent story.
 #875375  by #5 - Dyre Ave

R36 Combine Coach wrote:
Kamen Rider wrote:To settle the discussion. the R44s and R46s were built as single units and converted into permintate units during thier rebuilds. The B cars have always been B cars, and required an A car to operate.
I think you may be confused with the R62/R62A/R68/R68As, which were originally all single units and converted into linked unit sets during SMS.

The SI R44s are single units as they can operate independently (A units), unlike the linked A-B-B-A R44/46s.
Aren't there also B-unit SI R44s? I know that all of SI's R44s have couplers.