Railroad Forums 

• Why no Southern Pacific?

• This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.
This forum is for discussion of "Fallen Flag" roads not otherwise provided with a specific forum. Fallen Flags are roads that no longer operate, went bankrupt, or were acquired or merged out of existence.

Moderator: Nicolai3985

#1364195  by jabsteam

I see there is no Southern Pacific section in the Fallen Flags area - any reason why?
The were a HUGE railroad in their day...
 #1365123  by bdawe

It's an interesting thing.

There's a separate heading for every railroad that ever hauled a hunk of anthracite in the Mid-Atlantic states, and no SP. I realize that this is a very New York et al centric forum, but the California rail forums seem kinda crunchy
 #1409629  by Allen Hazen

And, while we're at it: there's a BN forum, but no Santa Fe forum.
I assume the site administrators are sensitive to what the perceive as demand. Perhaps if enough people told them they WANTED a SP or ATSF forum they would recruit a moderator (volunteers anybody) and establish one.
 #1410140  by Jeff Smith

I agree it's a bit confusing. Under the previous "administration, the rule of thumb was it wasn't truly a "fallen flag" unless there was no successor. Ultimately, that doesn't hold true: Penn Central was subsumed by Conrail, then CSX. Insert NYC or NH before PC. So let's assume the rule had to do with "bankruptcy". But then, there's a forum for B&O, which to my knowledge wasn't acquired in bankruptcy. And as you mentioned, Burlington Northern. It's not consistent. The Anthracites were brought back by popular demand.

I'm not worried about moderators; I've got a good group of admins who serve as "super moderators" for me ;). So if something pops up, we're on it pretty quick.

I'm not going to get to it today, but I'll revisit it.
 #1464348  by Gilbert B Norman

The April '18 TRAINS article by Robert Krebs, whom I had occasion to meet "along the way", is quite the "tell all", especially with regard to the competency of SP's management.

Volks, read it; it is quite the "tell all".