Railroad Forums 

• Why did the Erie terminate at Dansville

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New York State.

Moderator: Otto Vondrak

#1521864  by Fireman43

Thanks Scot
I responded before I read your answer.

I do note however on some general posts by people from years ago the picture links are broken.
No big deal

Thanks
Mark
 #1521865  by Fireman43

Ok another question.
In regards to the Erie heading into Mt Morris you’ve indicated was an electric line.
Looking at the 1974 NYS Abandoned Inventory PDF that Russ posted a few years ago the surveyors in describing the line say “primarily used as an electric line “
Does that imply that it may have also utilized steam or diesel w freight?
Mark
 #1521866  by scottychaos

Fireman43 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:14 pm Ok another question.
In regards to the Erie heading into Mt Morris you’ve indicated was an electric line.
Looking at the 1974 NYS Abandoned Inventory PDF that Russ posted a few years ago the surveyors in describing the line say “primarily used as an electric line “
Does that imply that it may have also utilized steam or diesel w freight?
Mark
yes, the line was electric for passenger service, and "normal" steam or diesel powered for freight service. Both operated on the line. Avon to Mount Morris was abandoned in 1940, so it probably didn't see a lot of diesel power, although a few Erie diesel switchers likely ran on it before 1940.

Scot
 #1522004  by pumpers

I was looking at a topo map, and down in Poag's hole / Canaseraga Creek the elevation is about 800 - 900 ft, and then at Canaseraga or Burns you are up at 1200 or 1250 ft. That''s one heck of an uphill, e.g. 4 miles at 2% grade (100 ft /mile) Don't see how even the 700 ft long trestle mentioned in the report would help that grade too much.
 #1527400  by ctclark1

scottychaos wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 1:01 pm
Fireman43 wrote: Mon Oct 07, 2019 12:28 pm Scot,
I have liked following your web posting over the years but so many of the links on RR net appear to have been severed.

Is that a RRNET issue?

I see a common issue with so many other posters.
Mark
Thanks to Mark's question, I just discovered that I do have some dead links on that page..
It's because I had to move all my webpages a few years ago, and I missed updating some links..
(I had to update many dozens, perhaps over a hundred links..)
Now that I know they are there, I will go and fix them! thanks for the heads-up! :)

The three links on the bottom of that page are bad, here are the correct links:

Continue on to page 2, Genesee & Wyoming
https://scotlawrence.github.io/GW/GWpage.html

Back to D&MM - G&W - R&S Survivors main page.
https://scotlawrence.github.io/GW/

return to Scot's main page
https://sites.google.com/site/scotlawrence/

thanks,
Scot
You should go to relative hyperlinks (./ and ../ for example) - Would certainly solve a lot of headaches if you ever change domains again!