Railroad Forums 

• Why did the CB&Q want the UP Cities Trains?

• Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
Discussion relating to the Burlington Northern and its predecessors Great Northern, Northern Pacific, Chicago Burlington & Quincy, Seattle Portland & Seattle, St. Louis - San Francisco, and their subsidiaries. Visit the Friends of the Burlington Northern for more information.
 #53339  by AmtrakFan

I remember Reading somewhere that the CB&Q wanted UP Cities Trains after they were pulled off C&NW why is that and why didn't they get them?

AmtrakFan

#53348  by David Benton

i have moved this post over from the rail trips forum , as i think its more likely to get a response here .
 #53557  by Gilbert B Norman

The Q was not likely the first choice for the Union Pacific to host their "City" trains, even if they had the most passenger-ready line. This was simply becausethe Q hosted both the Cal and Denver Zephyrs; handling the competitive "Cities" could mean UP would be beholden to the Q much as Amtrak is to the host roads today.

The Rock Island could have been a choice with probably the most potential for on-line business at both Iowa City and Des Moines.

But they went with my road, the MILW - and they got what could have been expected "two rails in the mud" and a line that also missed most population centers.

The change was done with a high degree of secrecy, but TRAINS did chronicle the change over quite well. It was indeed a coup for the MILW during 1955 to host these "corporate symbols'.
 #53868  by AmtrakFan

Gilbert B Norman wrote:The Q was not likely the first choice for the Union Pacific to host their "City" trains, even if they had the most passenger-ready line. This was simply becausethe Q hosted both the Cal and Denver Zephyrs; handling the competitive "Cities" could mean UP would be beholden to the Q much as Amtrak is to the host roads today.

The Rock Island could have been a choice with probably the most potential for on-line business at both Iowa City and Des Moines.

But they went with my road, the MILW - and they got what could have been expected "two rails in the mud" and a line that also missed most population centers.

The change was done with a high degree of secrecy, but TRAINS did chronicle the change over quite well. It was indeed a coup for the MILW during 1955 to host these "corporate symbols'.
Why didn't the UP give it to the Rock. Also I think the UP Trains would of just been pulled off the Q.

AmtrakFan

#54108  by Gilbert B Norman

Along with the MILW, the Rock Island's ROW was not in the best of shape.

Of course, a deterioriated ROW was the ostensible reason the UP left the C&NW. Likely though, more to the point was "Uncle Bennie's" (Ben W Heineman, C&NW CEO during that era) thoughts that the only worthwhile passenger train was a commuter train.

In addition to more on-line traffic potential with Iowa City and Des Moines (Cedar Rapids was lost either way), other intangibles such as using the 'most prestigous' station in Chicago (impressive of course was Union, but location belonged to La Salle) with its "no transfer necessary' to/from "The Century", and Englewood (area was still safe for man and beast during the 50's) for close NYC & PRR connections, I too am surprised The Rock didn't get the business

Disclaimer: author employed MILW 1970-81