Railroad Forums 

• Why are units left to idle for so long?

• General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.
General discussion about railroad operations, related facilities, maps, and other resources.

Moderator: Robert Paniagua

#130017  by haidan

I've seen yards run units for 24+ hours at a time in between uses why is this? does it take a long time to warm up a train? is it more efficient to let them run rather than shutting them down? with these gas prices? :-) :-) :-) :wink:

#130020  by DutchRailnut

Locomotives can only be shut down if continous temperature is above 50 degrees, or the engine will automaticly dump the cooling water.
Railroad engines won't take antifreeze and EPA won't want them to use antifreeze due to big blocks leaking when temperature changes.
If a locomotive dumps its water you need to switch unit out to get it to a water spigot and have a mechanic fill it, there are not always mechanics around so thats extra cost.
figure in that the railroad wants to keep the train the engine is coupled too supplied with air for brake system , than the cost of iling is ot to high.
Some engines are now equiped with a small pony engine to keep batteries charged and keep cooling water warm.

#130360  by SRS125

Some States have laws requireing that locomotives have to be shut down after the crews are done useing them in the summer months mostley in small suburban yards.

#130644  by DutchRailnut

Laws like that are unenforcable since locomotives are on Federal property and states and municipalities have no jurdistiction or power to enforce such laws.

#130674  by GOLDEN-ARM

Those types of "requirements" are usually found in your Timetable Special Instructions, Bulletins, Operating Bulletins, etc. Most places have some type of requirement for shutting down units, usually they won't be shut down, if they will be used, in the next 20 minutes, or so. (this allows yard crews to go to beans, and leave em running) I suspect some of the smaller roads, with really old engines, leave them running, so a protective layer of fuel & oil will coat all of the surrounding equipment, thereby preventing rust........ :wink:

#222933  by mikesummer

It is a little alarming the first time you are in a locomotive equipped with SmartStart and that sucker starts itself up. I'll never forget the first time that happened to me. The locomotive fired itself up. I was working in the cab and I looked up and out the window to see the top 1/2 of an 18 wheeler delivering sand to us backing up. Of course to me it looked like I was moving in the opposite direction in the locomotive. It's funny to think about it now. I know this post is a little off from your topic but your talk of excessive idling made me think of it.

FYI for anyone that doesn't know what SmartStart is, it is a computer that monitors the locomotive systems and outside conditions and shuts the locomotive down automatically to save fuel. It then starts the engine back up at intervals based on conditions such as outside temperature and cylinder pressure so that it isn't shut off for too long a period of time making it difficult to restart.

#222940  by LCJ

DutchRailnut wrote:Laws like that are unenforcable since locomotives are on Federal property and states and municipalities have no jurdistiction or power to enforce such laws.
Are you sure about this? I thought they were on railroad property.

#222959  by DutchRailnut

And railroads are under Federal jurdisticion, not state or municipal.

#222971  by roadster

And States and local Municipalities can pass laws which can be enforced upon the railroads. As long as the local law does not conflict with federal law. Ohio has the "no Blocking Crossings" state law which will catch the crew a fine if ignored. Railroads are not exempt from local juristiction.
CSX does have a engine shut down policy, if the ambient temp. remains above 35 degrees. Fuel prices may be high but still don't compare to the cost of draining and refilling the negines collant ysytem after every tour of duty, or the cost of a crack block, or compressor if they freeze.

#222973  by c604.

Does SmartStart have a tendancy to kill the batteries after a while? That was my first impression that if the batteries are not in top shape, they'll be discharged very quickly with all the starting and shutting down.

#222994  by Aji-tater

There is a difference between being regulated by Federal regulations, and federal property. My house is under town, county, state and federal regulations but it's still MY house. Locomotivesare not on federal property [except in the case of military bases etc]

#223052  by RSD15

can the smartstart device be used to keep a train on air?
several times last summer(65°) i saw/heard a train with all engines shut down waiting for crew availability,start one of its 3or4 units. the single unit ran for about 10/15 min.and then shut itself down.

thanks
charles

#223066  by mikesummer

c604. wrote:Does SmartStart have a tendancy to kill the batteries after a while? That was my first impression that if the batteries are not in top shape, they'll be discharged very quickly with all the starting and shutting down.
Battery charge is one of the metrics used by SmartStart in making it's decisions on starting/shutting down a locomotive.

#223318  by roadster

Smartstart and the APU's are set start when the air goes below a preset level and also recharges the batteries while running. In the case of engines not so equiped, an engine may be left running to maintain air in the train. If at train is left off air for more than 4 hrs, it is required to have a class 1 air test preformed on the entire train again.