Railroad Forums 

• Why are the wheels on my HO GP 35 just spinning?

• Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.
Discussion related to everything about model railroading, from layout design and planning, to reviews of related model tools and equipment. Discussion includes O, S, HO, N and Z, as well as narrow gauge topics. Also includes discussion of traditional "toy train" and "collector" topics such as Lionel, American Flyer, Marx, and others. Also includes discussion of outdoor garden railways and live steamers.

Moderators: 3rdrail, stilson4283, Otto Vondrak

#1407913  by rrbluesman

I just purchased a Bachmann GP-35. It runs good enough, I have run it by itself to break it in a number of times. I have noticed when it gets o the top of the grade I have on my layout it stalls out and the wheels spin but the unit doesnt move. When I have it on any of the other 3 mains track on my layout that have no grades this happens sometimes too. When I couple any car to it the same problem. Any ideas or suggestions as to why?

Thanks.

-Ed
 #1409407  by glennk419

I agree that it is a weight issue. I have a Bachmann K4 that did basically the same thing with any more than 3 cars behind it, even on level curves, until I threw some extra weight in the top of the shell. Finding space for extra weight in a GP35 might be challenging if they still use the "clamshell" weight on the chassis.
 #1409739  by lexon

I assume all the wheels are spinning, not just one end.
I just looked at the three versions on the Bachmann site and two are clam shell and one is a top and bottom weight version.
Center can motor driving each truck. Two flywheels.

As far as the K4 goes, I have seen a few forums that mention, the K4 is light on it's feet.

Rich