Railroad Forums 

• Why are marker lights removed?

• Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.
Discussion related to the operations and equipment of Consolidated Rail Corp. (Conrail) from 1976 to its present operations as Conrail Shared Assets. Official web site can be found here: CONRAIL.COM.

Moderators: TAMR213, keeper1616

#904555  by airman00

Why have alot of former conrail engines had there red marker lights removed? It's seems like NS does it more than CSX. But I thought marker lights were mandated on engines, so that in the event they were at the end of the train, the marker lights would mark the end of the train for track workers.

In any event why the rush to take them out when they don't bother anything and look real sharp when there on.
 #904560  by chuchubob

airman00 wrote:Why have alot of former conrail engines had there red marker lights removed? It's seems like NS does it more than CSX. But I thought marker lights were mandated on engines, so that in the event they were at the end of the train, the marker lights would mark the end of the train for track workers.

In any event why the rush to take them out when they don't bother anything and look real sharp when there on.
If they are present, they have to work. It's cheaper to remove them than to maintain them.
 #904616  by RDGTRANSMUSEUM

They were real nice on Conrail,we turned them on when a crew outlawed and parked a train. The new crew looked for the red lights when finding us. As for NS .......they took them out because of the cost of the bulbs and yes they have to work if equipped.
 #905826  by bluedash2

airman00 wrote:Why have alot of former conrail engines had there red marker lights removed? It's seems like NS does it more than CSX. But I thought marker lights were mandated on engines, so that in the event they were at the end of the train, the marker lights would mark the end of the train for track workers.

They haven't been required for some time but Conrail still kept using them and ordering them on new units.