Railroad Forums 

• Who built this hopper car?

• General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment
General discussion about locomotives, rolling stock, and equipment

Moderator: John_Perkowski

#463656  by scharnhorst

The Car was built in Canada I do not rember the name of the company off the top of my head. But the factory is loacted on Prince Edwared Island.

#463727  by trainiac

Here I am answering my own question... I finally came across a photo of one of these cars that's clear enough to read the fine text, and it says BLT 12-84 RTC. So they're from Richmond Tank Car. I saw reference to the RTC 5800 cu-ft cars in another document but didn't know what they looked like.

Very unusual-looking cars, in any case!

#463870  by scharnhorst

anouther spot to look for shop build info is in the black data lub/inspection box's on the cars as well. I'm only saying this as a future refrence should you need to find some more infor on car builders.

#464152  by BR&P

OK, does Richmond (Union Tank Car) have a plant in Canada, or has Scharnhorst posted bogus information again?

#464390  by scharnhorst

BR&P wrote:OK, does Richmond (Union Tank Car) have a plant in Canada, or has Scharnhorst posted bogus information again?

check the link under there history section page 23 PROCOR (Formerley Known as Sparling Tank untill 1958 name changed to PTL Canada in 1962 then became PROCOR) is partley owned by UTLX to rebuild and repair there fleet of railcars. PROCOR is the Canadian half of UTLX. UTLX dose not have a manufatureing plant in Canada Even thow PROCOR is a Canadian affiliate of Union Tank Car Company. Procor how ever dose have a factory in Ontario, Canada.

http://www.utlx.com/

Tank Car Companys that are Registered with Transport Canada that are allowed to build, MODIFY, REPAIR, and QUALIFY Tank Cars for use.
http://www.tc.gc.ca/tdg/containers/tank ... lities.htm

#464583  by BR&P

The original post asked who built the hopper car.

Scharnhorst stated it was built in Canada.

Trainiac stated it was built by Richmond, which as near as I can determine is in California.

Last time I checked, California was not part of Canada.

Trainiac cites the stencil "RTC" as documentation that it was built by Richmond.

Scharnhorst, what is your source for saying it was built in Prince Edward Island Canada?

#464769  by scharnhorst

BR&P wrote:The original post asked who built the hopper car.

Scharnhorst stated it was built in Canada.

Trainiac stated it was built by Richmond, which as near as I can determine is in California.

Last time I checked, California was not part of Canada.

Trainiac cites the stencil "RTC" as documentation that it was built by Richmond.

Scharnhorst, what is your source for saying it was built in Prince Edward Island Canada?
YOUR A MORON DUDE YOU PUT ALL THIS TOGETHER LONG AFTER THIS POSTING BEGAN AND ENDED.

trainiac did not state that it was built by RTC untill his 3ed posting (IF YOU CAN SEE MINE WAS THE 2ED POSTING) ANYONE WHO HAS ANY COMMON SENTS WOULD HAVE SEEN THAT TRAINIAC FOUND THE INFO AFTER MY POSSABLE THOUGHT. So many railcars are built or come from Canada these days it would make for an easy mistake in not makeing a proprer I.D. on the builder.

#464805  by BR&P

You did not say it was a "possable thought". You said the car was built in Canada. No maybe, no room for question, you stated flat out it was made in Canada.

If you want people to believe a word you say, put in your posts whether it is a fact you can prove and back up, or whether you are just making a wild guess. Otherwise it makes YOU look like the moron.

#466554  by ANDY117

I think they're National Steel Cars. Not positive though.

#466567  by GOLDEN-ARM

I'll shoot some pics, and post them, with a builders decal or stencil, if it's visible.