Railroad Forums 

• Who are the MBTA operator buffs & legandary operators

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in New England

Moderators: MEC407, NHN503

#142895  by mb41

I want to see if you folks come up with the same answers I do.

I feel Danny Cohen was one of the legandary operators and he an active buff at Seashore.

One of the all time greats was Al Silloway, BERY/MTA/MBTA foreman at Arborway car house.

I don't know where to place Roger Tobin...LOL

One that really sticks out to me for this person is a transit buff, a huge trolley bus fan and here is a list of all the types of stuff he has operated since joining the T in 1971. I am talking about Thomas Connolly BADGE 337, GM Old Looks, GM Fishbowls, GM/TMC/Nova RTS, Flyer buses, Flexibles, Neoplan deisels, Flyer trolley buses, Pullman trolley buses, Neoplan trolley buses, PCC streetcars & Boeing LRVs.

Peter Bruno (retired bus/green line operator)

Joe Hunt 26 year vetran of TT's, very nice operator and a great driver for the passengers.

+++The crapy people>>>LOL

Thomas J. Mclernan (ex-general manger) He got rid ot TT's and tremont street cars.

#142943  by mb41

Pay no attention to this, I put this under MBTA and the moderator moved it over here on me!!!! Since when do people like Danny and Al have to do with train buffs?

#142944  by typesix

James Warsher was former Green line operator and railfan. He knows many of the former T guys you mention. Used to hitch rides with him. Unlike most Green line ops today, he would operate car at just the right speed up to speed lites and not have to use the brakes, the light would turn green just when the car got there. He did not use the track switch on the PCCs, he would power through the switch on right diverging routes like a conventional streetcar. He stated this technique did not always work on the newer LRVs and T7s, as they drew less power at very low speeds than PCCs. He also tried to minimize sliding the wheels on bad track instead of just holding the brakes on.

#142953  by Robert Paniagua

mb41 wrote:Pay no attention to this, I put this under MBTA and the moderator moved it over here on me!!!! Since when do people like Danny and Al have to do with train buffs?
Well, it was another poster who requested it to be moved here, so I did, since it had too little to do with MBTA operations so I relocated it here to NERailfan, to generate more traffic to this topic. Hope this helps.

#143151  by jwhite07

Two Green Line operators and transit buffs I once knew are Brian O'Leary and Rich Iddings. Both are now retired.

#143377  by Otto Vondrak

I'm not sure railroad employees want to be talked about by name on this forum, praise or not. I'm locking this unless the moderator thinks its a good idea to unlock it.

-otto-