Railroad Forums 

• Whither the Quebec Central Railway?

• Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.
Pertaining to all railroading subjects, past and present, in Canada. For specific railroad questions, see Fallen Flags and Active Railroads categories.

Moderator: Ken V

#1315406  by trainsinmaine

It's been a few years since I was last in the Eastern Townships, and I'm wondering what has become of the Quebec Central. I recall the days when it lay dormant in the St.-Georges area, only to be purchased and rehabbed by a local entrepreneur who managed to operate it successfully (more or less) during the first decade of the current century. The last time I was up that way, however (2007, I think) it once again looked weed-covered, as though it hadn't seen some action in a while. What's the latest? I understand the ROW, at least, is owned by the Transport Ministry. Is the track still there?
 #1319693  by Townshipfarmer

As far as I know the provincial government owns the Tracks. From valley jct to sherbrooke there is supposed to be 15 km of track missing or in need of fixing (paved over crossings). There is a new short line railroad that runs from Charny to scot. I believe the are called Chemin de fer Sartigan. They began operations last year and serve a few clients.
 #1447916  by trainsinmaine

Just wondering if there have been any further developments since I inquired about this two and a half years ago. I haven't been to the Beauce area in quite some time; is the railroad active through there at all?
 #1450545  by johnhenry

When I was up there 5 years ago, most of the track between Vallee-Jonction and Sherbrooke was still there and in decent condition, although not used and several miles in the middle missing around Thedford Mines. The track from Valle-Jonction SE toward Saint-Georges was there but washed out. Since then this track has been ripped out, but I believe most of the track still remains to Sherbrooke, as does the track north to Scot. No trains since then as far as I know.